Super Bowl Contest! Carter is the judge.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok I know you guys are just destroyed by the weather....but we are pelletsmokers!

Lets see if there are at least 6 brave souls out there to show us some pellet magic!

if there are less then it is $10

More than 6

$25.00 gift card to Big Poppa Smokers
2nd Prize ! Gallon Mike Mills 17th Street sauce
third prize Big Poppa Smokers Apron

Lets see what we are make of!

CarterQ

Looking forward to it! No rules this week, whatever you love to cook, cook it.

For all of you that survived the storms last week I can't think of a better way to thaw out than with the warmth of a pellet cooker!

Good luck to you all.

Last edited:

rbaggett

Am I DQed because it will be 72 in Napa this Sunday? I will have 4 smokers going. Baby Backs, Butts, Chicken and Tri Tip.

ITFD#15

I'm in, let the game begin. It has been a long week of cold snowy weather and our local groundhog Wiarton Willy bless his heart did not see his shadow.. He was lucky to see anything in the blizzard we had.
Anyway its a sunny cold Sat. and its time to fire up the smoker.

Deb

Sourdough Waffles and Ham

I had been thinking about taking my neglected sourdough starter out of the fridge and doing something with it and then BP started the bread post .....

so I took my starter out of the fridge yesterday, fed it and let it sit overnight. This morning it was all happy, the black line was where it started last night

IMG_0066.jpg

I wanted to make bread this weekend so I needed to feed it again. When you feed it you only use a portion of it and there is some that is leftover.... you can discard or make something with it. I decided to make some waffles.... so I took a cup of the excess starter, 2 cups of buttermilk, 2 cups of whole wheat flour and mixed it up. I put it in the fridge for 8 hours.
IMG_0068.jpg

I took it out of the fridge and added 2 beaten eggs, 1/2 cup of melted butter, 1 tsp baking soda , 3/4 tsp salt and 1 tsp cinnamon.

Waffle batter into the waffle iron, blueberries & raspberries sprinkled on

IMG_0079.jpg

Onto the pellet part!

I had a spiral ham hiding in the back of the fridge that needed to be eaten. Threw it on the Traeger for smoke for awhile, then up to 225. I made a maple bourbon glaze (maple syrup, cider vinegar, bourbon, tangerine juice & zest, brown mustard, cayenne).

IMG_0076.jpg

At the end of the day I ended up with dinner

IMG_0084.jpg

DolphinLvr

Decided to try my hand at a long smoke today.

Got a chuck roast from the store, used Yellow Mustard as the glue and Plowboys Bovine. Let it sit in the fridge over night and put it on the MAK @225 this morning
DSC_2330.JPG

When IT hit 150, I put it in a pan with a cup of beef broth then foiled, back on the MAK @225 until IT hit 205.
DSC_2331.JPG

Poured off Juices and Let meat rest about 30 min. Pulled meat (Used 2 forks! What a Pain!!!!), meat was soooooo moist!
DSC_2335.JPG

Made myself a BBQ Beef sandwich with Sweet Baby Ray's Sweet and Spicey sauce
DSC_2336.JPG

For my First long smoke, I am extremely happy with the results! The meat was so tender and juicy, it was well worth the 7+ hours it took to cook!

sparky

looks fantastic. nice smoke penetration on it. it looks good... i love waffles and ham. that sounds so good right now. throw a egg or two on my waffle. :cool:

ITFD#15

Blue collar BBQ

So I am back again for another round, kind of a persistent rookie.
I may really need to seek professional help cause I am sure that I am addicted to pellet smoking.
And after Debs breakfast post that just added more to my list, I really do not see an end to this obsession. Looks yummy
So this about everything you love to cook.
Well I live BBQ so this is what I call a blue collar BBQ, no fancy plating or garnish,s just good old BBQ and lots of it served up with good friends and cold beer.

So I start with 4 racks of good Ontario back ribs, trimmed and rubbed with my own mix (normally start with prepared mustard but forgot). Wrapped for the night then placed in a rib rack with toothpicks for air space. This is the first time I have used the rack and only to conserve space.
IMG_8563.jpg
[/IMG]

Next is two 3-4lb chickens
One is prepped for a beer can, I use 1\2 a can of club soda (can,t believe it no cans of beer) garlic from the garden and some maple syrup from my good friend.
I rubbed this one with another one of my rubs and wrapped it for the night.
sorry no pic of that.
Second is the famous BP spatchcock chicken, prepped with olive oil and pressed garlic and some of my chicken rub (I know that I am supposed to stay away from the red rubs but I was on a roll).
IMG_8573.jpg
[/IMG]

Everything into the Traeger.
IMG_8569.jpg
[/IMG]
Pulled both birds just short of done 180 and wrapped them and placed them in a cooler.
Then I pulled the ribs and doctored them up Sparky style with my home made apple butter, our very own Stinger Honey, ( its handy having 30 hives and an endless supply of your own honey) and some butter. Wrapped in foil and back on the grill for 11/2 hours. Back off and finished with a mixture of BBQ sauce and apple butter.
IMG_8583.jpg
[/IMG]

Kell topped it all off with corn bread Memphis Blues style and some home made slaw and potato salad.
Good company and a great meal
IMG_8584.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_8587.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_8590.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks everyone for there influence it just keeps getting better.

Deb

Mexican Lasagna

I started out thinking I was going to do some enchiladas, somewhere in the prep it morphed into more of a lasagna.....

Started this morning by cooking some chicken breast (1/2 for the freezer)
IMG_0099.jpg

shredded the chicken , added some diced red pepper, black beans, scallion, garlic, shredded cheese, green chiles, cumin, mexican oregano & new mexico red chile powder

IMG_0103.jpg

we can't get good tortillas here so I decided to go with the healthy ones (these are awesome for what they are), plus a pic of the green sauce that I used

IMG_0104.jpg

started layering , a layer of red enchilada sauce on the bottom, tortillas, the chicken, some of the mean green sauce on top

IMG_0105.jpg

then more tortillas, chicken, some red sauce, more tortillas, more chicken, you get the idea

a bunch of cheese on the top, foil and into the traeger

IMG_0107.jpg

after about 20 minutes took the foil off
IMG_0112.jpg

done

IMG_0113.jpg

plated

IMG_0121.jpg

ITFD#15

Thanks BP I,m working on it, I am loving this site there is so many good cooks/chefs with so many great ideas it is hard to keep up.
And Deb your killing me.... Once again you have set the bar great job and another one that I have added to my long list of recipes to try.

squirtthecat

Ribs 4 ways, and some pre-game Smoked Chicken Chili (Part 1)

Shoveled the ice/snow off of the MAK..

20110206112031.jpg

2 racks, split in half.

Left to right, front to back...

Fagundes Portuguese, Cavendish Greek, Carolina Treet and MTQ quick cured Cajun bacon on a stick!

20110206123307.jpg

The cure:

20110206081122.jpg

Morton Tenderquick, Soileaus and Tony Chachere's "More Spice".

Meanwhile, some lunch..

20110206132907.jpg

MAK smoked chicken chili, assembled in my pressure cooker earlier this morning. I prefer starting with dried beans.

The cornbread was baked (in the oven) on Tuesday minutes before the blizzard knocked our power out...

Jiffy Corn muffin mix, can of corn, Soileau's cajun rub and a couple eggs.

Even the spatula liked it.

20110201151129.jpg

Flash forward 4 hours.

DSC02502.JPG

Pulled around 5 hours as the meat was pulling back nicely from the bones.

20110206170030.jpg

20110206170040.jpg

Ribs keeping warm in the slow cooker while the game is on.

20110206170403.jpg

We just had the Fagundes rubbed one. Fantastic!

Top Bottom