Anybody make bread?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I'm threatening to make my own sourhdough starter and start baking on my MAK. ANy oif you do any bread?

Im also thinking about pretzel bread...love that stuff....

Chris231

I've made many a loaf of bread, including making my own sourdough starter, but I've never baked any on my Memphis Pro. I thought about doing that as well, but just assumed it wouldn't taste good due to the flavor the smoke would contribute. I'd love to hear from others that have baked bread on their smoker.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Im not sure about that whole water thing...they say the same for the new york city water and pizza...

Chris the memphis would make great bread...the wood fired ovens in italy turn out some of the best bread

Pics and recipes? the flatbread sounds really good Jeanie

TentHunter

Sourdough starters are great if you love making sourdough bread. I did a sourdough starter for a while and loved the results. BUT...

...this important point is worth mentioning; its a commitment, not a "feel like doing it" thing. If sourdough starter is not properly maintained it will loose its viability.

Here's a great resource for any interested: Sourdough Home - An Exploration of Sourdough

Now I just bake regular bread occasionally and recently have enjoyed making beer bread.

Deb

I have not done bread on my pellet grill but..

I have a starter that I am unable to kill (I have probably just jinxed it). It has sat neglected in the fridge for months and come back to life after 24-36 hours of feeding. I was thinking this morning that I need to pull it out. I'll go pull it out and document as I go. WIth any luck I can bake something by Sunday and post. I haven't been baking as much as I used to.

BP - if you want some of the starter I can send some to you.

My next house will have a wood fired oven in either the kitchen or the backyard (hopefully the kitchen)

My son & I did some flatbread on something this summer but I think it was on the gasser - I'll have to find the pictures.

CarterQ

Never have tried sourdough, but we have done french bread, beer breads and various fruit breads all with great results. As for concerns about smoke flavor, there really isn't a noticeable flavor at the temps most baking occurs. Pellet cookers like the MAK and Memphis are excellent convection ovens with very even heat distribution which allows for even baking. Also wood heat tends to be drier than gas heat and with breads and pizzas you get a more crispy crust.

Trooper

I make a lot of my own bread/rolls. I do not make my own sourdough, though.
I also enjoy making my own fruit pies and other desserts.
I have not put any yet in the MAK, but will do so soon.
Kigh Arthur Flour in a invaluable resource for products/tips/recipies. Get on their mailing list. Or visit them online.
They are the "BP" of the home bakers.
I can't even think of making bread/yeast rolls without a bread machine. A bread machine is the best tool for mixing the ingredients and kneading the dough. (You DON'T use the bread machine to cook the bread. Once the bread is kneaded, you take the dough out of the bread machine, place it in a bread pan, and, after it's second rise, plop it into the preheated kitchen oven) The oven provides the cook with far better control over time/temperature.

I'll do some of my famous Apple/Cinnamon bread soon & put some pics on the site.
(these are my rules - slice it thick/toast it/real butter)

Also, I don't do my own doughnuts. But I am seen frequenting doughnut shops regularly.

Troop-

TentHunter

Kigh Arthur Flour in a invaluable resource for products/tips/recipies. Get on their mailing list. Or visit them online.
They are the "BP" of the home bakers.

Yes they are a great resource; thanks Troop! I didn't even think to list them. I believe they even offer already started sourdough starter.

Deb

King Arthur flour is a great resource.

They have a retail store about 45 minutes from my parents, it's a dangerous place, I came home with 100+ lbs. of flour in October plus a few other items, the cart was full when I got to the register.

sourdough starter resources:

Carls (this one has been around forever and I think it's free) Source
Sourdo.com - several different starters - this is where my starter came from Sourdough Cultures

Another good bread baking resource The Fresh Loaf | News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts

Deb

A few pictures

roasted potato onion bread (I think this is sourdough)
9a4f35bc.jpg

couple sourdough olive loaves and the braid is either semolina or italian bread

6b496000.jpg

cheese rolls (these are not sourdough)
98e6cdbc.jpg

rolls (non sourdough) (brought to the Nepas Smokeout in 2010)
photo-2-1.jpg

Mr Hickory

I have made many loafs of bread. But alas, I have a bread maker. I have a personal favorite, it is honey cinnamon bread and makes AWESOME French toast. My family just devours it whenever make it. I have never attempted sour dough. Many wheat loafs though, and honey wheat, as well as just plain wheat are fantastic if you use the king arthur stuff. You do have to add gluten though if you use stone ground to get it to rise properly.

Helpful tip, If you use Honey on a recipie that doesn't call for it, make sure you reduce the water and the sugar or it will be too wet and too sweet.

Deb

Hey BP,

If you decide to make your own sourdough starter let me know and I'll find Peter Reinhart's pineapple juice method, something in the pineapple juice makes a better environment for getting the starter going. The method was developed by one of the people that did recipe testing for one of his bread books.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok Here I come I have all of his books they are in the stack with my sausage stuff.....arrrgh Need more hours. I am doing this though!

Deb

If you are talking Peter's books.... and you have the two newest ones look for my name in them :cool:

The pineapple method is in the whole grain one, maybe the newest artisan bread one too, I'll have to check

Ssteppe

I've baked bread in my Memphis Pro. Due to the high heat (350-450), there was no smoke taste in the bread. At those temps, the pellets burn very clean in the MP.

Top Bottom