Smoke on Wheels Competition Schedule -- Part 1

HoDeDo

We are working on our schedule right now, What you see below represents the first 1/2 year. Alot of what we do will be predicated on how well we score, unless we find some sponsors for this year. We lost our $$ sponsor last year to the economy, so our winnings have had to carry us, but we cut out 6-8 events last year based on funding. Hopefully we will be able to cook 24 comps this year, and have 4-6 classes, and then do our normal charity cooks. I have a cancer charity cook/class fundraiser on 3/5, and we will have the Paul Quirk invitational in the summer, and United Way celeb. bartender event, where we cook during the KC United way drive... Should be a full year for us with any luck!

Pleasant Hill, MO 04/01/11 Smokin' On Big Creek
Osage City, KS 04/08/11 Smoke in the Spring
Jefferson City, MO 04/14/11 2011 Butt to Butt Championship
Jefferson City, MO 04/15/11 Capital City Cook-off
Overland Park, KS 04/22/11 VFW Post 846 BBQ Challenge
Lansing, KS 05/06/11 Brew, Blues & Bar-B-Q Cook-Off
Lawrence, KS 05/13/11 Sertoma 48 BBQ
Bonner Spgs or Abilene 05/21/11 GAB or Peace,Love and BBQ (or week off to prep for NY)
Rochester, NY 05/27/11 Roc City Rib Fest
Marysville, KS 06/03/11 Big Blue Barbeque Championship
Boston, NY 06/24/11 Boston Hills BBQ Fest
Lake Placid, NY 07/02/11 I Love Barbecue & Music Festival
Napa Valley, CA 08/04/11 Jimmy V Foundation Wine and BBQ invitational

We know the Chest to Chest Brisket, Great Bend, Garden City, American Royal, and many others will be in here... if the BBQ Gods shine on us this year... And no, we aren't doing Vegas... just too far to travel when we would be going to Rochester the next week :) Now to just start looking at weekends that BPS wants to invade KS. :cool:

KimG SOW

Recent Update

Pleasant Hill, MO 04/01/11 Smokin' On Big Creek
Osage City, KS 04/08/11 Smoke in the Spring
Jefferson City, MO 04/14/11 2011 Butt to Butt Championship
Jefferson City, MO 04/15/11 Capital City Cook-off
Overland Park, KS 04/22/11 VFW Post 846 BBQ Challenge
Lawrence, KS 05/06/11 Sertoma 48 BBQ
Conroe, TX 05/21/11 Sam's Club Challenge
Rochester, NY 05/27/11 Roc City Rib Fest
Marysville, KS 06/03/11 Big Blue Barbeque Championship
Boston, NY 06/24/11 Boston Hills BBQ Fest
Napa Valley, CA 08/04/11 Jimmy V Foundation Wine and BBQ invitational[/QUOTE]

TentHunter

Hmmm, the Rochester, NY event is within driving distance & the Boston, NY is even closer. Might be fun to go check one of them out.

Rip

Hey Andy and Kim, I just talked to my wife...several of your comps are not that far south of us (were just south of Omaha). She's on board with coming down and checking it out...might even make a class if Andy's teaching.

Big Poppa

Administrator
If Andy is teaching and you are close you are a fool to not take the class....This man is seriously talented!

KimG SOW

Hmmm, the Rochester, NY event is within driving distance & the Boston, NY is even closer. Might be fun to go check one of them out.

That would be AWESOME!
So far it is looking like Andy will be flying in for the Rochester. He will be teaching a class and then cooking. Don't know if he will be cooking as SOW or Big Guns BBQ with Sean.

Boston we are all coming. We are really good friends with the organizer and his family. (I can't wait to see their new son!!!) This contest is one of the best out there!!! We missed it last year due to damage to camper and having to buy 4 new tires after blowing one in NE Ohio on the way home from Rochester. :(

Andy will also be teach a class here too.

Last edited:

KimG SOW

Hey Andy and Kim, I just talked to my wife...several of your comps are not that far south of us (were just south of Omaha). She's on board with coming down and checking it out...might even make a class if Andy's teaching.

We know exactly where Bellevue is. We have a friend from there and we have cooked the BBQ contest there in the past. (Which they are bringing back this year after the floods last year. But we can't make it.) Just let us know which contest/s you would like to come to, we'd love to have you.

I'm not sure what classes are scheduled right now. But I'm sure Andy will chime in at some point after the contest tomorrow. Another option would be you hosting a class in Bellevue.;)

Last edited:

HoDeDo

Rochester and Boston will both be a blast. Definitely come out and check things out! We'd be happy to show ya around, introduce you to some folks, and check out the different comp setups people use. If you havent been to one, you will love it. I'm doing a BBQ 101 in Rochester, and I believe a full blown mock comp as a class, including turn-ins in Boston. So I'll have more "hangout" time at Rochester I have a feeling.

Check out the BBQ101 page on my website... We'd love to come up and do a class in Bellevue. If you know any of the Syphers up there, Eric and I went to KU together. I love hanging out in O-town! Have several friends in/around Omaha, too.

If Andy is teaching and you are close you are a fool to not take the class....This man is seriously talented!

Awwww schucks. Making me blush, Sterling. :)

Top Bottom