A sourdough thread (I'll figure out a way to get pellets in here somehow)

Deb

BP asked about breadmaking and said he was threatening to make his own sourdough starter the other day..... it prompted me to pull my starter out of the fridge and give it some love.......

I was terrified of sourdough at first, I read things that made it sound like you should be prepping it in a sterile lab and on a strict schedule, don't use this, only use a glass jar, stainless spoons, etc, etc ....... I have learned you can relax a little, you do need to make sure you work with clean equipment but it's not all that scary........

I purchased the starter I'm using from sourdo.com , it's the Camoldi starter which is an italian starter. It's pretty mellow (not super sour, it really just enhances the flavor and makes bread rise) and I bought it originally for pizza but use it for bread too. It's a hearty starter, I have had it going for at least four years and there have been 3-4 month stretches where it has sat in the back of the fridge.

So Friday (1:30pm) I reached far back into the fridge and took the starter out (it had only been about a month since i fed it last). It looked like this (not very pretty):

IMG_0057.jpg

Friday 5:30 I took 4 oz of the starter, 4 oz of water and 4 oz of all purpose flour (I only use king arthur flours) and mixed it together
IMG_0061.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Saturday 6:45 am it's looking happy and pretty close to peak (I have seen it get between the crease in the container and the 1qt line when it's been fed on a more frequent schedule)

IMG_0066.jpg

I fed it again (the excess which was just about 1 cup went into the sourdough waffles that I posted in the contest thread)

At 10:15 I checked it and it was a little over double in volume so I decided it was happy enough to start bread:)

all the ingredients on the top (see the starter and there is no yeast because we are using the starter)
IMG_0072.jpg

a little time in the mixer (the dough is dark because it's about 1/2 whole wheat and there is a bunch of cinnamon)
IMG_0074.jpg

after mixing & kneading looks like (note the volume in the bowl):
IMG_0075.jpg

5:45pm Saturday (7 hour rise, it takes longer to rise because of the cinnamon)
IMG_0077.jpg

Into the fridge overnight , to be continued.........

Deb

if you are asking about the 7 hour rise it is on the counter, covered. I spray the top of the dough with canola oil (pam like spray) and then cover the bowl. If you don't cover the bread would develop a skin.

Deb

Sunday 6:15 am out of the fridge

IMG_0086.jpg

not a big difference...

now it's back on the counter (covered) for a four hour rise

Deb

about 9:30 Sunday, it doesn't need a 4 hour rise, it has already peaked and is starting to (very) slowly deflate (the indentation is from the cover, not from deflating)
IMG_0091.jpg

gently deflate the dough, cut into 1/2 (60.60 oz in total, 2 30.30oz loaves), roll (I actually just pushed out with my fingers) into a rectangle

this is the first loaf, just cinnamon filling

IMG_0094.jpg

second loaf - cinnamon filling, chopped chocolate, chopped dried cherries. this also shows how the loaf is rolled up

IMG_0095.jpg

the loaf all rolled up
IMG_0096.jpg

the cinnamon filling that I use is from King Arthur - it is a dry powder and is so much better than just cinnamon-sugar. You mix with a little water to make a spread. It has really good, strong cinnamon so a little goes along way

IMG_0092.jpg

Loaves into bread pans , spray of oil on the top and then covered loosely with plastic

IMG_0098.jpg

the one on the left is slightly larger because of the chocolate & cherries

Last edited:

Deb

Couple hours later:

IMG_0102.jpg

decided to do one in the traeger and one in the oven

IMG_0107.jpg

just out of the oven

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

the darker one (the one with chocolate & cherry) was baked in the oven and the lighter one in the Traeger . they were both about 195 IT.
(top & middle pic traeger bread on left, bottom pic traeger bread on right)

Deb

the cut

IMG_0114.jpg

the cinnamon swirl could have used a little more cinnamon but both are good:) and my kitchen smells awesome

Rip

Looks wonderful! I love the smell of fresh baked bread....not the first time I've wished I was in your kitchen!

TentHunter

Deb, Thanks for starting this thread.

Sourdough is one of those things I find truly fascinating. I got interested in sourdough while reading a book my wife got while living in Alaska as a child.

I made a sourdough starter once just for the fun & experience of doing it, but it took some time. I love a really good dense sourdough bread and sourdough pancakes... Mmmmm just thinking about it makes me hungry and tempted to get back into it. :)

Here's a few notes on sourdough some of you might find interesting (if not feel free to skip this post :p).

- Sourdough gets its tangy taste from the lactic acid present in the starter.

- The history of sourdough dates back at least to ancient Egypt where drawings and writings depict the catching and using of airborne yeasts.

- Like wine/grapes & cheese making, sourdough is affected by climate so every region's sourdough will taste a little different. Deb's sourdough won't taste like mine or Big Poppa's, etc.

- Sourdough is such an integral part of Alaskan history that old-timers there are often referred to as "Sourdoughs".

- Some sourdough starters are more than 100+ years old. Here's a couple of links:

SourdoughSunrise

This one will actually send you some 100 year old starter for $15

Sending out 100 year old sourdough starter « At Home And At Sea

Deb, can you imagine keeping a starter going that long?

Deb

Tent - I think it's wild that there are starters that have been going that long. I'm amazed that mine has lasted so long. I can't keep a plant alive:confused:

Deb

Not pellet cooked but I figured I'd sneak this in here

Another sourdough use :

before work this morning

IMG_0123.jpg

after work (overproofed a little )
IMG_0125.jpg

one ready for the oven
IMG_0126.jpg

another ready
IMG_0128.jpg

pepperoni almost ready to come out
IMG_0127.jpg

veggie out
IMG_0129.jpg

I have a cut piece to show the crust but it hasn't hit photobucket yet

Deb

more sourdough

roasted garlic sourdough rolls

IMG_0148.jpg

a little leftover dough - shredded cheese, leftover country ribs from last night, bbq sauce

IMG_0145.jpg

roll it up & cut cinnamon roll style

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Top Bottom