Ok still a couple questions on Mak and Memphis

hawgsalot

I'm considering either the Mak 3 or Memphis built in. My question, when the Mak is in smoke mode can you only cook at the 175 degrees or can you "smoke" at a higher temp, say 225 or 250.

On the Memphis the smoke mode has a higher range therefore it would seem more desirable for me since I like smoke.

Maybe I'm missing something, where am I going wrong? Is the higher temp smoke not really a true smoke mode? Thanks,

jimsbarbecue

The MAK is programmed to modulate the feed rate to create more smoke at all temps. As temps get higher the feed rate of the pellets is higher so less modulation and smoke is then produced. We use our MAKs between 200 and 275 when smoking. At these temps it produces a lot of smoke. At the smoke setting your neighbors will look over the fence the first couple of times to make sure something isn't on fire.

CarterQ

Jim summed it up perfectly, I smoke from 225 to 275 with great smoky results. Jim isn't kidding about the amount of smoke the MAK puts out on "smoke" mode.

SmokinMAK

x2 - Check out the MAK 1-star thread. I think there is still a video there of it pumping out some smoke. I get plenty of smoke through the 200's an into the low 300's.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
I believe that the MAK puts out more smoke than the memphis in the same settings but the memphis gets hotter....

Top Bottom