Brisket is for people who can't get Tri Tip

Big Poppa

Administrator
HAHAHAHAHa

Im stirrin it up. Tri Tip is better than brisket.....way better...You Texans pride yourselves on brisket and Ill take Tri tip any day of the week....

This is intended to rile TXpga and all the other briskey guys and gals

ITs all in good fun!

sparky

tri tip is easier to cook. i do like the flavor of a good cooked brisket though. i think i will try jimbbq's tri tip cooked brisket style. that sounds interesting.

smoker pete

Here's a nice smoked Tri-Tip pulled at 140º. It's all good but this is hard to beat.

tri-tip6.jpg

Rip

Timely discussion. I was thinking about smoking meat for chili tomorrow...Costco here has tri-tips...I feel a plan coming together.

squirtthecat

I wish we could get tri-tips around here... Sam's Club had them for a while, 'enhanced' with a bunch of goo, and still almost 7 bucks a pound.

CarterQ

I can safely say I never have smoked a brisket, never really had the urge as tri tip is so much better and less work :) every Texan I have served tri tip to has agreed (off the record of course). Those crazy Californians got it right with the tri tip.

smoker pete

Timely discussion. I was thinking about smoking meat for chili tomorrow...Costco here has tri-tips...I feel a plan coming together.

Please note that the Tri-Tip I used still has the fat cap on it. Costco and other places trim their tips. Have never smoked a Tri-Tip that was trimmed. I always grill those. I applied Oak smoke for 1 2/3 hours and kept the temp at 225º till it hit an Internal Temp of 140º or your preference.

Trooper

I have only made one tri-tip on my MAK.
Didn't particularly enjoy it since it was too tough.
I will keep trying, though. Perhaps I should have gone to a higher IT temp.
Everyone goes with very high in IT temp with brisket and it survives.
Why not with tri-tip? Woud it dry out?

SisInLaw

Once, years back when shopping at Costco, I decided to buy a big bunch of tri tips and freeze them. Maybe like ten of them. At checkout, the price rang up at something like $2.00 each. $2.00 each! My eyes bugged out. The checker noticed and said, "We know these aren't priced right but here at Costco we CANNOT stop the line to check anything."

I wish that would happen again.

SisInLaw

Marinade it first.

smoker pete

Marinade it first.

Marinading as mentioned by SisInLaw is always a good way to go. You might also try using a rub and place it in the fridge overnight. Here is a simple rub that I like to use. Rub with EVOO and 50/50 mix of Johnny's Garlic Spread and Montreal Steak Seasoning. The Jim Beam was for medicinal purposes ...

tri-tip4.jpg

Big Poppa

Administrator
ONe key to tri tip is that it needs to be cooked at a higher internal temp...not piut temp internal...Here is poppas rule of thumb...the leaner the meat the lower the internal temp...Think Filet...130 Brisket up to 205...I pull my tri tip at 140 and then sear lightly for a coupla minutes....The other key to tender tri tip is to cut AGAINST the grain...No naming names but one of the pics previously posted in this thread looks with the graing...big difference. The third key to tender meat perion is to rest it for 5-10 minutes.

I went through and got some various tri tip shots...these are choice, prime, Strube Ranch Wagyu. nad even a Uraguayi Wagyu...they are all mixed up!
IMG_0711.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0239-3.jpg

IMG_0240-2.jpg

IMG_0241-3.jpg

IMG_0767-3.jpg

IMG_0768-2.jpg

P1000558.jpg

P1000601.jpg

Top Bottom