Spark get a hold of some Magic Dust

sparky

It's about ribs ppl. I know what some of you were thinking thou.

#336 maiden voyage into the great rib experiment. as you know i have been on a rib quest. it's a zen thing (like surfing). i have been trying to find the perfect rib. i have tried over 20 rubs, mustard / ct mustard, wrap with foil (butter, honey, brown sugar) and then some form of sauce or jelly on top. they have been ok. everyone that has them thinks they the best ribs ever and i should open a rib joint. nah, i do it for fun. once i made some that were like candy. my family loved them. welp, i forgot how i did them. now i got a ribs journal that i right down all my experiments. i cook ribs probably 2-3 times a week. all my past posting have been 275º for 4 hours (2 1/2 up, 1 hour foil (butter-honey-bs), sauce or jelly for last 1/2 hour. in my opinion they have been cooked to much. when i cut into them they shred. in this experiment i cook for the first time for 5 hours on the Mak at 225º.
P2100001.jpg

cooked some corn also
P2100011.jpg

P2100003.jpg

after the 3 hour mark, the usual stuff.
P2100002.jpg

one more hour and wa laa.
P2100006.jpg

one more hour on.
P2100010.jpg

P2100026.jpg

they were ok. i thought they could have been cooked more. the toothpick went though but not without effort. no sauce on these ones. the texture was alot different and when i cut them they cut and didn't shred. i have cooked 4 hour ribs with out foil and the family didn't like them. when i cooked all these ribs i am only changing 1 thing at a time to control my experiment. today it is going to be 5 1/2 hours ribs with magic dust and chipotle sauce on them (the family likes the chipotle sauce more then the pepper jelly). tomorrow is going to be epic. 4 racks all with a different rub on them. for once and for all we are going to pick a rub we all like. thank you for letting me ramble. i would like all of ya'll input on what i am doing. going to put the mak to work this weekend baby.
i put in one 10 lb bag of BD in hopper when i started. 1 hour burn off on high, 1 1/2 at 275º for bacon. 1/2 hour warm up and 5 hour cook at 225º. who says the mak burns pellets.
P2100033.jpg

hog wash.

Last edited:

cowgirl

I'm lovin your rib experiment Sparky!! These look excellent...
Looking forward to seeing tomorrow's outcome. :cool:

Rip

Well Sparky, I'm barely qualified to carry pellet bags for you....but 5 to 5:30 @225 sounds pretty much right on for the b-backs I've done (1 hour foiled). I pull them when they pass the bend test, (meat cracks without pulling off the bone). Keep up the great work, we're all learning from your efforts!

Top Bottom