Grill Temperature

drake

Just got my Mak #339 assembled and ready for action. I've done my burn in, and have been looking at some of the rib recipes and keep seeing a cook temp. of 225. I've got mine set to 225 and am running an actual temp. of 210, I assume I need to run it up to get an actual temp. of 225 inside the box, but you know what they say about assuming.

Mr Hickory

I am doing my first real run today as well, and noticed it does fluctuate a little. It does go over and under a little, but only by about five degrees +/- on mine. I haven't seen any issue with that though.

Big Poppa

Administrator
that is intentional...to make more smoke you need a swing...also your oven at home does that but the thermostat doesnt tell you

drake

Ok, that in my my world (Hvac tech), we call it temperature differential, overshoot setpoint and come back on at a predetermined temp dif.. Thanks, got a half shoulder on now, cooked 2 chix and St.louis ribs yesterday. Lovin it, neighbors on these 1/4 acre lots, maybe not so much love. Oh well, If I can put up w/ there dogs they can live with my Mak..

So Cal Smoker

If you like your neighbors give them some of your Q and they will line up at the fence every time they see smoke. Kinda like the Dogs. LOL

MAK DADDY

Yes it does, and the setpoint alarm is louder than the horn on my motorcycle....I clearly need a better horn.

Yes that new alarm is quite loud, you can turn it off if you wish (the screen will still flash when the alarm happens). We had quite a few complaints about the old alarm being to quite.

Maintenance screen (press and hold select button for 10 seconds) arrow up or down to Alarm, press set button to change ON/OFF.
Press and hold Select button for 3 seconds to exit maintenance screen when finished.

MAK DADDY

Just got my Mak #339 assembled and ready for action. I've done my burn in, and have been looking at some of the rib recipes and keep seeing a cook temp. of 225. I've got mine set to 225 and am running an actual temp. of 210, I assume I need to run it up to get an actual temp. of 225 inside the box, but you know what they say about assuming.

The temp display is an average over a set time so the screen doesn't constantly switch around. We try to stay at or under the setpoint and like Sterling said we allow more swing at the lower temps to create smoke :) So leave the temp set at 225 for cooking at 225 :)

drake

The temp display is an average over a set time so the screen doesn't constantly switch around. We try to stay at or under the setpoint and like Sterling said we allow more swing at the lower temps to create smoke :) So leave the temp set at 225 for cooking at 225 :)
Thanks for the insight and advice. It's good to know that a newbie to this has so much support, beats the hell outta runnin blind. Thank you all.

ht01us

Thanks for the insight and advice. It's good to know that a newbie to this has so much support, beats the hell outta runnin blind. Thank you all.

Can I get an "Amen".

I've learned so much from people here. And like I read on another post, this site is so much more positive than your average (or even above average) web forum.

drake

You know what? Its because we all share the same disease!

I think you're right, I just got in from valentines dinner with the Mrs., looked out on my deck and seen the Mak all covered up and felt guilty, like I she be doing something w/ her tonight...LOL

jimsbarbecue

I have burned over a 100 pounds of pellets temp testing on the MAK. Everytime something didn't seem right like what you had I would check it out. Using the stoker log program I could record and chart the cook temps and their swings. Here is one graph it shows the MAK at a lower temp then moved to a higher temp and you can see everytime the hood was open.The graph shows how the temp modulates to create more smoke. All I can tell you as others have said is let the Pellet Boss do its job.Different pellts and brands burn different slower or faster warm up.Some burn hotter then others. But if you set the Pellet Boss to 325 no matter what pellet you will get 325
1105549215_qss4h-M.jpg

ht01us

Wowsers! I've never heard of the stoker log program. Is that something you made? How would one get ahold of it?

jimsbarbecue

No it is a free program a exmicrosoft programmer made. Been around for years and updated at times. Just a BBQ guy that did it.if yiucnnot find the link let me know

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

drake

I have burned over a 100 pounds of pellets temp testing on the MAK. Everytime something didn't seem right like what you had I would check it out. Using the stoker log program I could record and chart the cook temps and their swings. Here is one graph it shows the MAK at a lower temp then moved to a higher temp and you can see everytime the hood was open.The graph shows how the temp modulates to create more smoke. All I can tell you as others have said is let the Pellet Boss do its job.Different pellts and brands burn different slower or faster warm up.Some burn hotter then others. But if you set the Pellet Boss to 325 no matter what pellet you will get 325
1105549215_qss4h-M.jpg

Thanks, that sheds alot of light onto what the boss is doing. That is one cool program.

Top Bottom