Wow

Mr Hickory

Ok, first real smoked meal, a piece of tri tip rubbed with my secret store bought concoction:confused:, was AMAZING. Pork is still cooking, but oh my god that tri tip is amazing!. My friend was here, and is a tri tip lover, took the first bite and looked at me and said "worth every penny, never had one like that, you need to do that again really soon".

I say again the Mak is awesome.

I could even see the smoke ring in the meat. Just amazing how uniform this thing cooks.

Mr Hickory

@ sparky....had two things on at the same time. Grill at 225 for the duration, tri tip ran for about four hours, pork shoulder was first on and last off just a tick under 11 hours. It was a perfet day here about 78 degrees, and it used about 10-11 pounds of pellets.

@Deb, yes I have pictures, but I still need to setup a photobucket account so I can post. Working on it.

So Cal Smoker

The secret to good Tri Tip is don't try to get too Fancy. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Fat cap up at 250-275 until IT is about 140. Take off let rest and cut agings the grain. Wow just the best.

Mr Hickory

The secret to good Tri Tip is don't try to get too Fancy. Salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Fat cap up at 250-275 until IT is about 140. Take off let rest and cut agings the grain. Wow just the best.

Yup, I did a quick rub with my all purpose rub, pulled at exactly 140 on an instant read thermometer.

Mr Hickory

Love the dog tongue in that last one :)
Great job on the cooks!

I know, it really says it all doesn't it?

And as if there was any doubt, my family and friends devoured the entire pork shoulder, a 2 pound tri tip, and about a pound of bacon, along with about two and a half quarts of fresh coleslaw.

They were all ready to lick the pans. I know clearly understand that I must smoke in much larger quantities than I anticipated, and I get why BP sells pellets in 480 pound bulk packs. I really didn't understand that until now.

Live an learn......

Last edited:
Top Bottom