Walnut pellets

CarterQ

Got a couple of bags of walnut pellets a few weeks ago. Mainly bought them for higher temp cooks, which they are great for by the way.

Was wondering if anyone has smoked with walnut and if so what did you use it on? It's definitely a unique smoke and I think it would work well with certain meats.

CarterQ

Yeah I think I am going to play with a tri tip and see how that comes out. So much fun playing with smoke!

CarterQ

Yeah I got them from BP, they are the Heat Resource brand Black Walnut pellet, I believe it is made by Fiber Resources which is Candy's company (makers of BBQrs Delight pellets)

TentHunter

I have 40 lbs. of Black Walnut pellets on the way from BPS. My reasons for getting them are twofold:

1) I really like the flavor of the other nut woods, Hickory & Pecan, so my guess is I'll like the Walnut as well (although Pecan is a type of Hickory, only lighter in flavor).

2) The Walnut put out more heat so when I am foiling/braising I want to try switching to the Walnut pellets to see if its a little more efficient. (hey its worth a try :))

Chris231

the smoke flavor is much more intense than other nut woods. In my Memphis I fill the hopper on the right with black walnut and the left with something else. Right now I'm on apple wood. BP is right, the black walnut flavor really complements beef.

Top Bottom