When does your smoking season start?

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK for all of you wlive with that condition called winter...when does your season usually start? Also is there a time in the summer that it stops due to the heat?

Rip

For me it's year round....living here is what we do. Braving the elements is all part of the outdoor cooking experience. If anything, pellet smoking has made this easier with temp control handled electronically, (less time spent at the smoker in really nasty weather.). Another bonus is not running the indoor oven during air conditioning season. :cool:

TentHunter

Start did you say? Hmmmm I'd have to say my smoking season started years ago... and it hasn't had the good sense to come in out of the snow or the heat of summer and end ;)

I love BBQ'ing/Smoking.

HoDeDo

We started with the Clark Kent team, in Great Bend, KS at the Winter Que! I think our first official KCBS event is 4/1. But I may be stopping in TX prior to that for a little IBCA boondoggle. :)

ACW3

My SERIOUS smokin' didn't start until I got my MAK from BP last June. It hasn't stopped, except when I am travelling. While travelling I find that I NEED to get home to get a "smokin' fix". I am sure I am not alone.

Art

ht01us

My season in the past started in May/June. But getting the MAK 2 Star in January moved that up by about 5 months! :D

Bear

I use my smokers year round, but not near as much in the winter. It's not nearly as much the cold weather that slows me down as the short days. Makes me lazy. Besides that, I spend a lot of the winter months killin' critters to cook.

gmaines

I live on the edge of the desert, in summer it can get to 112. In my pit area I have put in a Mister system, works great. I go all year long...

sparky

i bbq in 120º summers and below freezing. don't like bbq in freezing weather but i still do it just as much as the summer time.

3Bs-Bar-B-Que

I am a yr around bbq guy in the 100 deg summers we stand farther from the bbq we practice are cooks 3 to 4 times a week leading up to a comp... its 34 degs here and we have some salmon with dill and garlic herb butter on the GMG should be a good dinner lol

FireHouseSmoker

Big Poppa,
Mine finally started in July, and I don't see and end to it yet or at all! I use to BBQ with a off-set box charcoal unit, here in the great NorthWest I cooked on it year around so. . . that being said. I don't see and end to my pellet cooking. I have done pizza, game hens, elk, deer, pig, chicken, hamburgers, and the list continues. Can't wait for pheasant, chuckar and huns to come in to season. As of right now, it is the salmon that are running. Since I have gotten my pellet smoker (Traeger 075) I have been trying to find a way to purchase a smaller one for hunting camp!

HogSmoker

I always smoke a turkey at thanksgiving then don't do anymore till spring. BUT now that I will have a MAK it will be anytime !

SmokeAndSpice

I smoke year 'round, but slow down a lot in the winter-- meaning when it gets consistently at or below freezing. For those years we get a lot of snow I stop until I can keep a path cleared to the garage where I keep the smokers. As for summers, I haven't yet found a temperature too hot to cook outside. I might not sit outside and monitor the food, but it doesn't stop me from cooking.

Top Bottom