jerky on my FEC 500

smoque shack

hey all,

i did 2 batches on my FEC 500 yesterday. 1st. batch i used high mnt. seasoning. 2nd batch i used jalapeno. i marinated them for 30 hours, smoked for 4 hours at 184....it came out perfect! i like it chewy not leathery........i'll be selling my jerky this summer at my Q joint in lake city co. what do you think?.......jeff,

jeffs jerky | Roxio PhotoShow

bflodan

Id love to try making that sometime, have not yet tried jerky on my mak...How long will that stay fresh for??? Whats the shelf life??

HoDeDo

I would imagine the shelf life depends on what is in the marinade. If it is curing the beef, prior to dehydrating, then I would imagine it is longer... If it is just a marinade, and the jerky is cooked, but not cured, it would be somewhat shorter. I know you could cook a ton in the 500 though. That thing should be a jerky production machine. I would probably find a way to try to double up the rack space by hanging an intermediate rack from the 3 racks per shelf, to dbl the capacity for jerky cooks.

smoque shack

hodedo,

yes i do have 15 shelves, i wonder how much it would do...lol. i did use the cure that high mnt. had in their packet. i let it cure for 30 hours. so i would bet it would last a long time [if we don't eat it!] . im thinking $3 for 2.5 oz. or so....my cost? with shrinkage?= about$1. i can live with that. if you bought it at the store it would cost around $6.....maybe im too low on my price.....what do you think?

jeff,

Top Bottom