tri tip help

Mr Hickory

Anybody have an idea of hours per pound @225 for tri tip? Never cooked a big one before and since my first cook last weekend I have had people dropping meat off all week for my sunday get togethers.

I am going to need to take a vacation just to smoke all this stuff!:)

ht01us

No idea about the cooking (I'll be reading the suggestions). But I LOVE your avatar. Absolutely hilarious

Mr Hickory

Thanks....in truth it was the only thing I had that was within the resolution and size limits. But he is just about everybodies unsung hero.

I am looking forward to the answers too.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Search this topic There are some great topics.... i cook tri tip at 275 turn it over at 110 and pull it between 140-145 About an hour total

KyNola

I did two tri tips last weekend. Put them on at 225 and never flipped them. Took them off when the IT reached around 130.
684482771_photobucket_44363_.jpg

These were black angus, choice or better at $4.00/lb!!! Tri tips are not well known in my area so when I saw $4.00/lb, I grabbed 5 of them before the butcher realized what he had!

Big Poppa

Administrator
KY I hate to tell you but those dont look like what we call tri tip! The marbling is off...tri tip is very very lean

KyNola

Next time I get one out of the freezer, I will photograph it so you can see it. It is is very possible that both the butcher and I are mistaken. Thanks for the info BP.

smoker pete

My last Tri-Tip was about 3lbs. Took me 3 hours @225º to reach an IT of 140º. Followed by an FTC of 30-45 minutes. I removed the Tri-Tip from the fridge an hour prior to smoking. The initial IT was 52º. I would recommend Oak ... hope this helps. Rubbed the Tri-Tip the night before and popped it in the fridge overnight.

drake

I did two tri tips last weekend. Put them on at 225 and never flipped them. Took them off when the IT reached around 130.
684482771_photobucket_44363_.jpg

These were black angus, choice or better at $4.00/lb!!! Tri tips are not well known in my area so when I saw $4.00/lb, I grabbed 5 of them before the butcher realized what he had!

I live in Nashville and am able to buy tri-tip at the Franklin Costco, the Costco in west Nashville, has them as well. I'm with BP on them not being tri-tip, those in the pic look way to fine a grain of beef. My Kroger butcher gave me something like that about a month ago and he called it a captain's cut. I don't know how he came up with it but it was damn good.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Hey I wasnt being mean Just pointing out that cut doesnt resemble what we get out here. I hope I didnt offend you.

drake

Hey I wasnt being mean Just pointing out that cut doesnt resemble what we get out here. I hope I didnt offend you.

I'll 2nd that notion, I didn't even know what a tri-tip was until I got here. The guys on here are great, no meanies here.

Mr Hickory

Thanks everybody, it's looking like about an hour per pound is a good starting point to estimate from. That's what I was looking for.

KyNola

No offense taken BP. Tri tips are generally not available in my area so I was going on the info I had learned. Would someone tell me what cut a tri tip is and where it's located on the cow? We may be talking about two different cuts of beef. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks guys.

CarterQ

More history of the tri tip and how it was discovered almost by accident

Tri tip history

Crazy how such a good piece of meat really went unnoticed for so long, I remember my Grandfather would drive down to the Santa Maria market from San Luis Obispo to pick up tri tips for grilling (he would rotisserie them over a charcoal fire) when we were kids. Makes you wonder if there are any other undiscovered cuts of meat still on a cow that if cooked the right way might be as great as a tri tip!

KyNola

Thanks for the history lesson guys. The information was really helpful as it confirms what my butcher was telling me about the location of the tri tip. The photos of the cut looks identical to what I have.

Maybe the fat running through mine was why the price was $4.00/lb. Thanks again all!

smoker pete

Costco here on the left coast also carries Tri-Tip Steaks. I have been grilling these for years. They're less expensive than other cuts and are delicious.

Koolranch

I thought I would add to this one with my observations. I cooked a tri tip today at 225-250 until IT hit 145. It only took 2 1/2 hours it was about 2lbs. The flavor was great however the texture was like raw meat even though it was cooked to temp. So my question is why the odd texture? Or is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CMack1

Smoker Pete- I'm also on the left coast and my local Costco (Ontario) always had prime grade tri tip steaks on sale. I've never touched them but the marbling always looks fantastic. Do you treat them like normal steaks?

Top Bottom