Carter is the Judge! 2-18 contest!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok Its warming up! I hoep to see a bunch of cooks!

First prize
2 Bottles of each of Smoke on Wheels new Marinade...Two of the Bottles are signed by Kim and ANdy!
Second Place 15 dollar gift card to Big Poppa Smokers!
Third prize two packs of firewire skewers!

Go Get em!

CarterQ

Like BP said the weather is warming up, I know a lot of you have been itching for some grill time so here is the perfect chance to get your fix in and maybe score some loot, you can't beat the entry fee either!

Anything goes, I like the creative stuff that nobody really thinks about on a pellet cooker but the standards are great too!

Have fun, cook the way you want and good luck to all!

FLBentRider

Oriental-inspired pulled beef
This was something that just kind of popped into my head. I am going for the "peanut beef" kinda flavor, but mixing in some smoke flavors as well. This is definitely a keeper in my book.
Chuck Roast
DSC_00502Medium.jpg

Supporting cast
DSC_00492Medium.jpg

1 Layer of PB (skip the J this time)
DSC_00522Medium.jpg

Add five-spice powder
DSC_00533Medium.jpg

On to the MAK - Pellet boss programmed for 5 hours on SMOKE then 215 until whenever.
DSC_00542Medium.jpg

Overnight - Then boated with a bottle of Teriyaki
DSC_00503Medium.jpg

Done
DSC_00513Medium.jpg

pulled - pan drippings mixed in
DSC_00562Medium.jpg

Last edited:

sparky

Bent, how did it taste? i been wanting to use peanut butter on stuff? did the rub get to the meat through the peanut butter? it looks good.

FLBentRider

It was good, You can taste the five-spice, smoke, and the peanut butter in the background, with the teriyaki in the foreground. I might dilute the teriyaki with some beef broth next time. I couldn't keep the Mrs out of it.

sparky

Just a simple chicken dinner.

wife wanted something easy.
P2190033.jpg

P2190036.jpg

turned on #336 to 325º. on she went.
P2190038.jpg

chicken came out great.
P2190047.jpg

another yummy dinner for me and mrs.
P2190044.jpg

Rip

Our First Tri Tip

Been wanting to do something with Tri Tips for a few weeks now...

First the Tri Tips were seasoned up and back in the fridge overnight.
IMG_1903sm.jpg

The next day (Friday) I started preparing the meal. First up was BP's Steakhouse Mushroom Sauce. Onto the smoker at 350.
IMG_1905sm.jpg

What's wrong with the previous pic? Walking back to the house I was reviewing the shot on the camera and something wasn't right....duh, where's the seasoning? Back to the smoker for a quick shot of spices and magic pepper dust!

Added some BP style baked potatoes to keep the the 'shrooms company.

After about an hour (stirred twice) the sauce was done and replaced on the smoker with BP style asparagus (detecting a trend here?) The heat was raised to 400.
IMG_1909sm.jpg

Once these were done, the heat was dropped to 250 and the Trip's were put on, heading for an IT of 140. (The potatoes and 'gus were FTC'ed)
IMG_1913sm.jpg

The Tri Tips were pulled, rested and seared.
IMG_1915sm.jpg

I carefully sliced the meat, across the grain, saving one piece 'steak style'. All plated up:
IMG_1921sm.jpg

After the shot, I sliced this piece up as well and re-topped with sauce, it then ocurred to me that would have been the better plated shot! (but I was too hungry to go get the camera again.)

Mea Culpa...Due to technical difficulties too boring to recount, I overshot my intended IT of 140...while this was fine with everyone else, I would have preferred med-rare. The amazing thing was how tender and juicy the meat was, Tri Tips are Awesome!
IMG_1922sm.jpg

So what to do for dinner Saturday? Leftovers! Naan bread, tri tip, basil, asparagus, mozzarella, tomato's, and garlic EVOO
IMG_1925sm.jpg

On to the smoker at 400
IMG_1929sm.jpg

Everybody got to pick their own style for toppings and then their own finishes, I went with Hot Squeeze and magic dust (cayenne/habanero mix). These were awesome! My wife Nancy had this idea and a few more to try....but that will have to wait for next time, not enough leftovers!
IMG_1937sm.jpg

Big Poppa

Administrator
Rip How good are those mushrooms? Also tri tip is not great med rare if you ask me....pink is good you may have overshot that by only about 2 or three degrees...well withing my standards!

Rip

Rip How good are those mushrooms?

They were great! While waiting for the Trips to be done the mushrooms absorbed a lot of the liquid so next time I think I'll mix in a little of the juice from the Tri Tips (and there was plenty!) before topping the meat. I wish there had been some left for the Naan bread the next day!

sparky

dude, rip. no rookie status anymore partner. that looks awesome. i like saturdays dinner more myself. fine food. 2 thumbs up garth...:cool:

cowgirl

Wow!! Everything looks excellent!! I've not had the chance to do much smoking in the last week or two.. hope to catch up. :)

sparky

welp, sunday night dinner and no kids. so quiet. just me & mrs and "the good, bad & ugly" movie. love clint eastwood and john wayne.
a little rib action in order. gangs all here.
P2200020.jpg

onto #336 at 225º
P2200027.jpg

after 3 hours on, time to foil and sauce them.
P2200030.jpg

P2200032.jpg

after 1 more hour on foiled. then unfoiled them and back on for one more hour.
P2200050.jpg

ready to be cut up.
P2200056.jpg

was real good with mashed potatoes, cottage cheese w/ pineapple.
P2200074.jpg
another adventure in the great rib experiment.
p.s. i like them better foiled with honey, butter and brown sugar. and i believe 3eyz is my rub of choice for my ribs. so far. :cool:

Last edited:

TentHunter

Bentrider, That peanut beef looks incredible - very inspiring!

Rip, that leftover Tri-tip on the Naan bread is the star of your show.

Sparky - great looking spatchcock, Bro!

TentHunter

Hawaiian Fattie & Smoked Pineapple Slaw

I went with a Hawaiian/Pineapple theme this evening.

Part I - Hawaiian Fattie

I took two pounds of fresh ground pork & mixed up some breakfast sausage. I flattened it, added a layer of cream cheese, a layer of cooked ham, then a layer of chopped pineapple. Rolled all up along with a low sodium bacon weave.
HF01.JPG

My son got the grill ready and we put the fattie on with a pouch of Sugar Maple pellets. Smoked it at about 350° to an I.T. of 165°.
HF02.JPG

=============================================================

Part II - Smoked Pineapple Slaw

We made a batch of pineapple slaw a few weeks ago (Big Poppa inspired) and really liked it, so I thought I'd try taking it in a different direction by adding smoked pineapple. I was not disappointed - this was really good!

I started by loading up a Fire Wire skewer with some pineapple chunks and puttng it on the grill to smoke alongside the Fattie.
HF03.JPG

While that smoked, I made the slaw. Dressing used a cup of homemade mayo, a bit of mustard, sugar, cider vinegar, pineapple juice and a splash of soy sauce. I added the smoked pineapple just before serving.
HF04.JPG

Part III - Plating

The fattie was sliced.
HF05.JPG

The bread choice was obvious; King's Hawaiian Rolls (toasted), then served with the Smoked Pineapple Slaw & some potato salad.
HF06.JPG

The Sugar Maple gave a very nice light, slightly sweet smoke that accented the pineapple & pork well.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Great tent when I grill the pineapples I dice them afterwards for a less dominant taste....give that a try...looks absolutely fabulous!

Rip

Smoked Chili (with beans) - Cobbler Dessert

Where I come from, chili has beans, the title is in deference to other regions.

Started with 2lbs of hamburger and an onion. Placed on a Frogmat and sprinkled with seasonings, then on to the smoker for about 25 minutes on smoke (~160-165). Any longer and the meat starts to dry out.
IMG_1877sm.jpg

Meanwhile I started the chili base on the stove; tomatoes (crushed), garlic, cayenne, dark red kidney beans, chili powder, ground black pepper, and a cup of beef bouillon...a little this and that, seems to be different every time!

Once the hamburger was ready I dumped it and the onions on a cutting board and chopped it all up. Then it was added to base and simmered for hours.

While the chili (with beans!) was simmering, I whipped up a side dish of Jalapeno Quiche.
IMG_1879sm.jpg

1 jar sliced Jalapenos
2 cups shredded Jack or Cheddar (we usually use sharp cheddar, this time we tried smoked cheddar)
4 eggs
1 cup Bisquick
1 cup Half & half
1/8 tsp red pepper sauce...haha, hardly! We usually shake in a bunch of magic dust (cayenne/habanero mix) instead!

Heat smoker to 375, grease 9 inch square pan
Sprinkle peppers and cheese into pan
Beat remaining ingredients until smooth, pour into pan
Bake until golden brown and passes knife/toothpick test
Let stand 10 minutes, cut into squares
Refrigerate leftovers (can't say that's happened often)

As you can see here, it's also ok to just stir it all up and dump it in!
IMG_1881sm.jpg

Makes a great appetizer too!
IMG_1887sm.jpg

Time to eat!
IMG_1891sm.jpg

Very tasty!
IMG_1892ssm.jpg

While everyone is eating, dessert was out bubbling on the smoker...
IMG_1939sm.jpg

Classic peach cobbler with some twists...honey and cinnamon were added...and fresh blueberries were tossed in as well. On to the smoker at 375 for ~50-60 minutes.
IMG_1943sm.jpg

A little ice cream and oh man was this tasty! Believe me, the entire batch was gone by bedtime.
IMG_1956sm.jpg

Last edited:

Deb

Wow, everything looks good, I want some of Rips cobbler!

I have nothing this week, I did not cook on the grill at all. I hope someone else enters to get the 6th.

Rip

I suck at math, but I'm pretty sure we're at 4 cooks right now....

Thanks Deb! It was as good as it looks!

Top Bottom