Walnut smoked tri tip

CarterQ

Wanted to smoke something with walnut pellets, everyone said beef is the way to go. So with all the discussion about tri tip this week I decided to smoke one!

Seasoned up with some McClintocks BBQ seasoning (the restaurant isn't great any more but the seasonings are still decent) and Lemon Pepper

8350b477.jpg

Onto the MAK @225

6e3d7321.jpg

Smoked until it hit an IT of 140 then pulled, sorry no pics on the grill it was pouring rain and windy so I wasn't hanging around for pics!

e9f57797.jpg

Let it rest about 20 minutes and sliced

b0cf4f75.jpg

Three toothed monkey girl wants a slice!

e7b1953d.jpg

This came out awesome, for anyone who says they can't tell the difference in pellet flavors, smoke some beef with Walnut. It is a robust, peppery smoke that went perfectly with the tri tip and a nice fat Cab!

Last edited:

TentHunter

...This came out awesome, for anyone who says they can't tell the difference in pellet flavors, smoke some beef with Walnut. It is a robust, peppery smoke that went perfectly with the tri tip and a nice fat Cab!

Excellent description of the smoke flavor, Carter!

I've been wondering how the smoke flavor was ever since the discussion on walnut pellets. I'd also imagined it would give a nice dark color to the food and no disappointment there. That steak looks beautiful.

I like Big Poppa's idea that smoke is like a spice. I can tell a difference in wood/pellet flavors and believe at least part of the difference has to do with the aroma. A big portion of what we taste comes from our sense of smell.

Thanks for sharing. I'll be ordering some walnut pellets soon.

So who's the three-toothed monkey girl? She's a little cutie!

sparky

i want mine to move out. the 24 yr old daughter and 22 yr old son eat my lucky charms and capt crunch. :(

Top Bottom