Cooking and Internal temps for Beef

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK we get alot of questions about beef and the desired internal temps along with cooking temps.

Lets tackle the cooking temps...Simple rule The thinner the meat the hotter you cook. I very thin steak really can only be cooked hot and fast. The thicker the cut the slower you can cook it. A thick steak you can sear first and then smoke home...or smoike and then sear. A brisket you cook at a low and steady temp (I know about hot and fast...just giving basic guidelines)

Now to internal temps...antoher simple rule....THe leaner the meat the rarer you can cook it.....My temps for FIlets are 130.....for new yorks 135-140 tri tips 145 all the way to briskets up to 205. For example many people get a mindset..."I like my steak medium rare (130-135 IT) so the cook all meat to that temp. The connective tissues and collagen in the meat make it so where each meat has its tender spot. A tri tip at 130 is chewy and work to eat...one that may be not as pink as you like is super tender and flavorful.

Again the thinner the steak the hotter and faster you cook it....the leaner the meat the rarer you can serve The tougher the higher the internal temp needs to be....

rbaggett

I believe that it is all about the (1) grade and (2) quality of the meat cut (where the meat comes from). Sterling's comments are correct to some extent. l would consider grade before leanness. For example, if you have a prime grade tri tip, I would suggest a lower cooking temp for a great result. And, brisket (which you might say is lean), a low quality of meat, you must cook much longer even if it was at prime grade. Confused?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yeah because the marbling in the prime tri tip really needs to cook to a even higher internal temp to render the fat....THe point is that regardless of the grade a filet can be cooked to a lower internal temp than a prime rib eye

Top Bottom