Smoked Chicken Tortilla Soup

CarterQ

Wife was craving chicken tortilla soup so the light bulb went on, how about smoking the chicken?

Here we go:

Brined some boneless skinless breasts in a basic brown sugar brine

1c86cdba.jpg

Patted em dry after brining at hit them with some olive oil and 3 eyz rub

dd97fdea.jpg

Onto the MAK @225 running Mesquite

09e1e2cd.jpg

After a couple hours and an IT of 155 ready to pull (these are going in a soup so I am not looking for them to be completely done)

0a026c70.jpg

938741c4.jpg

Diced up and ready for the soup

a9decd6d.jpg

Started the soup

Chicken broth, green chiles, diced tomatoes and chiles (Rotel), onion, and the chicken

350f23d8.jpg

83a100b5.jpg

Bring it to a boil and let simmer for about a half hour

d97fb78e.jpg

After simmering add fresh cilantro, lime juice, cumin, frozen corn, and cayenne pepper and simmer for another 15 minutes.

6e1efded.jpg

Last edited:

CarterQ

Smoked Chicken Tortilla Soup Cont

While we're waiting for the soup to finish up start working on the tortilla part

Throw some tortilla strips in the deep fryer for garnish

72c5f6c6.jpg

c0d831a0.jpg

71ea3d75.jpg

Onto the Tortilla Chips

0bc610f0.jpg

217eeb37.jpg

Now for the moment of truth

Put in a bowl, garnish with fresh Pico de Gallo, jack cheese, and tortilla strips (and of course a nice Mexican Beer)

f6bcd121.jpg

cef4a8e7.jpg

This came out great, the smoke flavor from the chicken came through in the soup and blended well with the other flavors, definitely will try this again.

sparky

wow, i wished i lived closer to ya. and you drink beer too. nice food partner. nicely done carter.

ACW3

CarterQ,
I made some chicken tortilla soup a few weeks back. Similar recipes. My original recipe has always been really good, but now that I have a pellet grill, I, too, decide that the recipe needed to be kicked up a bit. I spatchcocked a whole chicken, rubbed it with EVOO and seasoning it with Plowboys Yard Bird rub. I smoked it with hickory until it was done. After cooling, I stripped and chopped the meat and set aside. Next I added the carcass to a pot filled with sodium reduced chicken stock. The smokey flavor from the chicken really intensified the flavor of the stock. We invited neighbors over for "soup". Although I doubled the recipe, we almost ran out. Six people can eat a lot of soup! My garnishes were chopped fresh cilantro, a Mexican cheese blend, fried chip strips, and wedges of lime. This updated recipe will replace my old recipe, it's that good.

Art

Top Bottom