I need more smoke!

JeremyY

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes... I purchase my Traeger 075 smoker last october so I'm still trying to figure it out. I need to figure out how to get my basic BBQ recipes perfected as I did before on my old brinkman front loader. I have figured out the correct cooking time however I need more smoke. The problem I am having is getting heat at the same time as getting smoke. The best method I have found at this point is cooking at my normal cooking temp for 40-45 minutes then switching to "Smoke" for 15-20 minutes without opening the lid to avoid loosing heat. Any suggestions?

Big Poppa

Administrator
you should start your cook with smoke the warmer the meat gets the less it accepts the smoke after about 140 it doesnt take any more..The other solution is pellets....Are you using traeger pellets?

ITFD#15

Not sure if this helps at all.. I have the same unit and like BP says I start my cook on a high temp and then when I Place what ever I am cooking I switch to smoke for the first part of the cook. I do this because of the cold temps, as well I mix my pellets I add oak to cherry to give me a bit more heat and still get a good smoke.

JeremyY

At this point I have only used Traeger Pellets. I am very new to this so still figuring it all out. I was just checking out other pellets last night. Do you find that other brands offer up more heat or smoke (or both)?

Top Bottom