Pork Butts at higher temps

CarterQ

Just was wondering if anyone has tried cooking pork butts at higher temps than the standard 225 and what the results were.

Was thinking about running at 225 until an IT of 140 (the temp that meat is no longer taking on smoke flavor) and then cranking it up higher to finish. Not sure what this higher temp would be though.

It seems you need a balance to still allow the breakdown of fats and connective tissues while speeding the process up, but you wouldn't want to to run so high that the breakdown process doesn't fully occur.

TentHunter

I think you are Bang-on in your thinking Carter. A lot of testing has been done to support exactly where you're going.

Its hard to beat low & slow, but when I need to cut down on cooking time here's the method I use with consistent results.

First off, just like you mentioned, I smoke at a lower temp until its flavor sealed at 140°. AND THAT RIGHT THERE is why I'm a firm believer in putting butts, brisket, etc. on the pit while its still COLD from the fridge. The longer it takes for that meat to reach 140° = more smoke penetration and smoke ring. Its one of those science behind the method things.

Next, I foil with some braising liquids (sealing the foil tightly) & raise the pit temp to around 300°. That temp seems to strike that balance betweeen cooking time, allowing breakdown of tissue & collagen but NOT shrinking the meat so rapidly that it squeezes the fat & juices out.

I start checking after 3 hours or so for doneness/tenderness. After braising I remove it from the foil & put it back on (still at 300°) for 15 - 30 minutes to let the bark finish.

You may not care for doing it this way all the time, but I'd say give it a try and see if you like it. :)

CarterQ

Got one going now, on cold @225 when it hits 145 the pellet boss will crank it up to 275 until done. I'll keep you posted.

TentHunter

I've gotten to where I don't pay as much attention to the final temp as much as how it feels when I stick a large candy thermometer in. When I stick the probe in and it feels like soft butter (little resistance), then I know that the connective tissue has broken down and its done.

Usually the temp reads 200° - 205° but not always. Sometimes its tender around 190 - 195°. I guess I let the meat tell me when its done and not the thermometer.

Hope this makes sense :confused:

HoDeDo

You can hot cook a well trimmed butt at 300-325, with a finish at 250-275. Cook over direct, and flip/turn/roll it every 15-20 min, until it has reached the color you like, then wrap and finish as you normally would over indirect heat at 250-275. 4 hrs cook. and it turns out great! Never done it on a mak, but done that type of hot cook in and egg and a can before... and also on a TG300.

And yes, finish is by feel, usually around 195-200.

CarterQ

Great info guys, after watching the MAK run @275 I forgot how much smoke it still puts out at higher temps, next time I think I could get away with running 275 the entire cook and not lose too much. So much fun playing with these things!

FLBentRider

I have heard this "meat doesn't take on smoke over 140F" but I've never seen any science to support it.

Im my experience the bark seems to diminish as the temps go up.

TentHunter

I have heard this "meat doesn't take on smoke over 140F" but I've never seen any science to support it.

There are resources that explain some of this science a lot better than I can and in more detail. Andy may have more info on this as well.

Basically what I understand is, at 140° F a few things are happening to meat: Fat has already started rendering, and myoglobin (the protein that makes meat look red) is starting to turn brown and juices starting to turn clear making the meat turn tan. Until now, Nitrogen Dioxide, (converted to nitric acid) has been able to react with the myoglobins creating the smoke ring.

Also at 140° Collagen proteins & fibers are starting to tighten creating a sort of wall in the outer layer and squeezing the juices towards the center of the meat. Basically, tight membranes + little or no moisture = no way for smoke vapor particulates to continue to permeate the membrane (osmosis) and be carried into the meat.

I sure hope this makes sense :confused: (I think my head hurts now - lol).

Andy, any more info on this?

Last edited:
Top Bottom