Cleaning Stainless

CarterQ

What does everyone use to clean the stainless on their MAKs? Need something that will take off the smoke stains around the bottom of the lid. I have tried several stainless cleaners with mixed results. Any tips or tricks would be helpful.

jimsbarbecue

What does everyone use to clean the stainless on their MAKs? Need something that will take off the smoke stains around the bottom of the lid. I have tried several stainless cleaners with mixed results. Any tips or tricks would be helpful.

SD-20 I have only found online

Memphis

I have found that "3M stainless steel cleaner and polish" does an excellent job. I get mine at a local company called United Surface Preparation. It is NSF registered, does a great job cleaning and leaves a protective film. It comes in a 21oz can. I am sure it is available at other businesses as well. I have not seen it at common stores. Here is a link. It is not cheap but I think it is worth it.

Shop 3M: 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish, 21 oz Aerosol

drake

My wife sells resteraunt equipment and her guys use Sheila Shine. You can buy a qt. of it off Amazon for 15.73.

CarterQ

Thanks for all of the tips, I have heard good things about the SD-20 so I am going to order some and give it a whirl this weekend. #37 is going to get a good spring cleaning inside and out! Will post before and after shots.

Last edited:

CarterQ

Finally got around to cleaning my MAK this weekend. Completely went through it and she is as good as new. Tried out the SD 20 for cleaning the stainless based on Jim's recommendation.

Ordered the SD-20 online:

3f0458ac.jpg

Before

f7effda2.jpg

After

6a1d8851.jpg

c2ce50ab.jpg

This worked great, the SD-20 cut through cooked on stains like it was nothing. Thanks for the tip!

Last edited:

sparky

can you only get sd-20 online. i can't get it at lowes or home depot? i have those same stains on mine too. i only had it a month or so. i kinda figure, its a bbq. its suppose to have honey, butter, bbq sauce on it. heh, talking about cleaning. lately i have been getting these black pieces on my food. i think there coming from the lid. do you take the stainless steel lid off and clean the inside of it off?

Last edited:

Mr Hickory

I used Ezoff oven cleaner this weekend. Got the smoke and stains off, no problem, but is really hard to totally clean up. That SD 20 stuff seems to be the ticket.

I used 409 after the ez off and that worked pretty good to get the last swirls off.

CarterQ

can you only get sd-20 online. i can't get it at lowes or home depot? i have those same stains on mine too. i only had it a month or so. i kinda figure, its a bbq. its suppose to have honey, butter, bbq sauce on it. heh, talking about cleaning. lately i have been getting these black pieces on my food. i think there coming from the lid. do you take the stainless steel lid off and clean the inside of it off?

I could only find it online, I got it from a cleaning supply company, I had to buy a case but I can use it on other projects. I believe amazon sells it too. It worked great and didn't seem too harsh.

As for the flakes residue build up on the inside of the lid and will scrape off when you open and close it. I take the lid off every few months and run a scraper on it, it comes off easily, anything left after that you can get off with cleaner.

Last edited:

Rip

Carter, when cleaning the lid, after scraping do you use solvents like sd-20 and if so do you run a short 'season' cycle afterwards? Like Sparky, my grill lid flakes if I let it close too hard.

CarterQ

On this go round I didn't use any solvent on the inside of the lid, I have used it in the past and I will rinse with dish soap and warm water and then I will run the grill on high (450 - 500 degrees) for 10 - 15 minutes to burn off anything that might be there. I generally try to avoid any chemicals on the inside of the grill though. I have found if it wont come off by scraping it's probably not worth worrying about. Also I like to use a plastic scraper to avoid damage to any painted / powder coated surfaces.

MAK DADDY

I used Ezoff oven cleaner this weekend. Got the smoke and stains off, no problem, but is really hard to totally clean up. That SD 20 stuff seems to be the ticket.

I used 409 after the ez off and that worked pretty good to get the last swirls off.

Be very careful with solvents especially easy off as it will damage the powdercoat!
I just use sst cleaner (Wymans), simple green and a kitchen sponge. be sure to scrub the direction of the grain if you use a scotchbrite pad on the stainless. Vinegar and water work well too.

CarterQ

Be very careful with solvents especially easy off as it will damage the powdercoat!
I just use sst cleaner (Wymans), simple green and a kitchen sponge. be sure to scrub the direction of the grain if you use a scotchbrite pad on the stainless. Vinegar and water work well too.

Good points, anytime I have used solvents on the lid it has been with the lid off of the grill. What do you use to clean the powder coated surfaces? I normally wipe down with 409.

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

You don't have too. The grease and smoke can build up on the insides then flake off so that is what they are discussing.

Mr Hickory

No worries, I know ez off is mean stuff, and wouldn't even think of putting it on anything powder coated or painted.

99% of my cleaning is done with simple green and 409.

Yorinny

Bar Keepers Friend is amazing on Stainless, sold at Home Depot and Grocery Stores, comes in a powder form or Liquid

Top Bottom