Reverse Seared Ribeyes on the Hasty Bake

cowgirl

I have a new toy to play with (Thank you BP!)... this was my first attempt at using the Hasty Bake. I went with some reverse seared ribeyes.

This is a charcoal unit but I used a few pellets for flavor. :)

045-1.jpg

I went with simple olive oil, kosher salt and cracked black pepper..

057-1.jpg

The hot coal rack is adjustable so I lowered it to slow smoke the steaks at 200 for about 45 minutes. Also added a skillet of morels, portabellas and button shrooms with garlic, butter and olive oil.

001-1-1.jpg

I moved the steaks to the upper rack for a few minutes while I raised the hot coal rack to the highest setting. I wanted the grate to heat up for a good sear before adding the steaks. (not sure if that was necessary but it worked)

016-1.jpg

seared my steaks and olive oil, kosher salt, cracked black peppered asparagus.

025-1.jpg

I made a wild grape wine, morel infused sauce to top the steak...

040-1.jpg

The Hasty Bake was amazing... I can see several benefits to having one of these. My little mind is reeling with ideas to try. lol

Thank you for looking!

Big Poppa

Administrator
NOw jeannine on the reverse sear try putting the steaks on the shelf the whole time and only use the grate for searing...it is amazing!

I love Hasty Bake!

KimG SOW

Jeanie - That looks GREAT! Now...how do we get to your house.... we will be driving through OK very soon!! ;)

cowgirl

Thank you Deb and Rip! :)
BP, I appreciate you doing that... Hasty Bake is an amazing company. I've been doing my research. They definately know what they're doing. :cool:

Cliff, I think you and I might be related! lol We seem to like the same things.. :)

Thank you Jimbo, I would let you borrow this one but you have to use it here.. OR I could introduce you to a fellow in California who can set you up with one. lol Thanks Jimbo... :cool:

BP, you are so right. I'm one lucky gal. Thanks!!

sparky

congrats on the new grill jeanie. it looks nice. food is always outstanding. how did you like being able to raise and lower the coals? i think that would be great. :)

Meat Maven

I got me one of these too, Jeanie, thanks to BP, and although I'm pretty good with meat in general, this is a whole new technique for me, so I'm looking forward to following your expert experiments. So, what do you mean about using the upper rack the whole time, BP? In other words, do the slow smoke at 200 for 45 on the top rack, never using the main rack? And, pray explain why? I love the idea of adding pellets. My rotisserie should be here within a day or so -- hopefully, in time for Oscar night, when I'm planning to spit-roast a 4-rib, bone-in rib roast "larded" with white anchovies, garlic slivers, and rosemary. At the end, it will get the "secret crust-building" treatment (not THAT secret: baste with melted butter and sprinkle with Wondra about 10 minutes before it'll get to 138F).
How can I apply the reverse-sear technology to a big, spinning hunka protein like that?

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK Kids we have a culinary big shot here...Meet Meat Maven...She is the author of over 24 cookbooks...many you have. If she lets me tell you her name I will....She is one of my new best friends....We met through Meathead and have been talking a lot and finally met for lunch in San Luis Obispo yesterday. You guys and gals share your smoking and grilling tips and she will teach you everything under the sun...seriously she is that good.

What I meant MS. Maven is do your indirect as far away from the losered coals as possible...when you hit your desired pre sear internal temp crank up the grill and cook for a very short time each side because this bad boy is nuclear...You will get the best char!

Top Bottom