How did I Arrive at 94 Rubs and Sauces?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Checking the store I now am up to 94 rubs and sauces. On the surface it may look as I just sell everything that is handed my way. Actually I reject more than I buy. SOme friends on the Brethren are a little upset because I declined to offer them.

I started out with sauces trying to cover the countries classic regions...KC sauce, White sauce, Musttard sauce, etc. Then the fun begins. There are ones that I bought primarily because most competitors use them...i.e. blues hawg and Head Country. I actually use both of them in a mixture all the time. THen there are little sleepers like Pepper Plant....very underrated sauce. There isnt a sauce that we sell that I wont reach for...all for different reasons...I also notice that I will go on a kick and then burn out. Happened with Mike Mills stuff (17th Street) I used it at the company xmas party and fell in love again. Its good to mix up your sauce.

The one thing that will keep me from buying a sauce. Added smoke flavor. I dont like them and I know that they are primarily for the gas griller which is the bulk of the business but I think that liquid hickory is not remotely close to authentic rich smoke flavor I think it tastes toxic. But I dgress

Rubs....Now I really want one with a flavor profile that is big but balanced. I like sweet hot a lot...or I like layering rubs. Desert Island rubs are Plowboys Yardbird, 3eyes, Smoking Guns Hot, butchers Honey, ALl of my new stuff....(seriously....I wouldnt offer it if I didnt think it was valid.) Im playing around with Obie QUes stuff...his double garlic pepper is big as a texas wildfire....I also am playing with layering Cimmeron Docs with Smokin GUns.

What I wish that all of them would do is ditch the MSG. I know the BBQ purists get their panties in a wad...that always strikes me as funny...If you are good you dont need msg. Todd Johns should once again be commended for taking it out of Plowboys. Im going to do a post on msg.

THe guys in the factory like it when I reject a sauce or rub it goes on the office commisary table first come it's theirs.

cowgirl

I like the fact that you offer only the best... whether it's dry rub and sauces OR smokers and grills.
You don't carry something just because a friend makes it.. It HAS to be good by your standards. That says a lot about you and your company BP. Pretty cool!

sparky

i agree with jeanie. i am glad you are picky. and no msg. not good for ya. when is BP spices coming out? obie wans sweet & heat / brisket are good. just bought some cimmeron docs yesterday. and you call me long winded. LOL. :)

squirtthecat

I think you need a nice round 95. Soileau's Bayou Blend. PM me a mailing addy and I'll pop a couple bottles in tomorrow's mail..

Last edited:

drake

Hey BP, have you ever tried the Bayou Magic Cajun seasoning? We have used it on steak for years and love it.

rbaggett

Love Plowboy and glad there's no MSG. Thanks for getting the large replacement bags of Plowboy. It should last at least a month.

Top Bottom