Why I hate MSG

Big Poppa

Administrator
Perception is reality. Period. In California at least ask any woman or most people and ask them what they are allergic to and they almost always say MSG. It doesnt bother me at all and some that think they are I seriously doubt....You dont want to make you famoly or guests sick...so its not worth the chance. Having said that I have served chicken with the old Yardbird to everyone and never had a complaint of an allergic reaction.

SO when I get a rub that is off the charts cool like Obie Ques Sweet hot and see MSG I know that I can only use it for myself.

If you are a decent cook you dont need msg to produce tender and flavorful meat....if you suck msg wont bail you out.

I wish I wish I wish...I f I got to play BBQ god for a day there would be no MSG and no Liquid Smoke.

jimbo

I completely agree. I have one of those family's that run for cover when the see the MSG bomb coming. I've tossed many a bottle of rub & sauce after reading the ingredients. There's too many good one's without MSG to even bother.

FLBentRider

I'm sensitive to it, but it depends on the percentage of MSG in the product, and how it is applied. I try to avoid it.

jimsbarbecue

For a long time MSG has been like salt. It was common to most rubs. One at a time good rubs came out without MSG or offered no MSG versions. I see salt as the next thing that rub manufactures will make salt free versions. There are starting to be some good ones out there without salt or MSG.

TentHunter

First off, please understand that I DON'T want to knock any rubs/sauces etc. anyone might like using, & I don't want to get on a soap box. But this is a subject that is very real to me & I just want to share a little peice of what I've had to learn out of necessity.

What I hate is the fact that many in the food industry have removed "Mono-sodium glutamate" only to replace it with other L-Glutamates. I don't know if this is done purposely or if they really are unaware that its essentially the same thing.

The reason you see me make so many things from scratch is because I spent years having horrible headaches, migraines, heart palpitations, nausea and other symptoms before it was finally traced to free form glutamates (including Aspartame). Excitotoxicity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This stuff is pervasive and the list of things I have to avoid is long & depressing at best :(.

There are a lot of good resources out there. If you'd like more info send me a Private Message.

One other interesting note: Did you know research shows that people allergic to sulfa/sulfites are more predisposed to be sensitive allergic to Glutamates?

Top Bottom