Feral hog suggestions

Redfish1

A friend of mine gave me a leg and shoulder. I was going to brine it like pork belly and try

either hickory/cherry or that savory herb. I trying for that sandwich ham flavor.:D:D

Big Poppa

Administrator
I cant help you with feral hogs...feral cats? I am an expert! Just kidding there is a poster here TXPGA pro that should be by to help on this

cowgirl

If you want the ham flavor try adding cure to your brine. Mortons Tenderquick is an easy one to use.. it's pre-mixed with salt so keep that in mind when adding additional seasonings.
Depending on the size of the leg and shoulder, you will probably need to inject the brine/cure too for even curing.
Something that large will need to cure for several days for "ham".
If you just want to treat it like smoked pork, brining overnight without cure should be enough. I'd also inject though.

Just some thoughts.... Good luck with it!

txpgapro

I never brine my hogs. I do make sure that the hog is a sow no more than 100 pounds or so. Want some fat on the pig as well. For a binder I use plain ol' Worchestershire or a blend like Claude's or Allegro. Then rub your rub in good prior to smoking. If you do want "ham" you might brine. I like mine more of a pulled pork texture. Smoke around 225* for 8 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACW3

Hey Redfish1,
I shot a Russian boar a while back and had most of it ground up for sausage. I did save the shoulders and hams and cooked them low-and-slow and made some dynamite pulled pork. The boar was naturally "sweeter" tasting than a commercially raised hog. The butcher added some brown sugar to the sausage. It would be okay for a breakfast sausage. However, I have used it, along with other seasonings, for making my elk chili, elk and venison summer sausage, and the list goes on. It makes outstanding sausages. In fact, I am looking to add some more feral hog meat to my freezer this year. The freezer is finally getting low on good meat.I plan to hunt in NC and maybe a trip back to TX for some Axis deer, hogs, etc.

Art

Top Bottom