Finally..... Tri Tip

TTNuge

Was at Costco today to get a rib roast for my Mom's birthday this weekend and what did I see but a big package of Tri Tips. My guess is there are at least 4 if not 6 large Tri Tips in the Cryovac. I almost picked up some brisket before I saw these and then I thought back to what I've read on here and I knew I would hate myself if I didn't try the Tritip.

So I'll be cooking it up on Saturday. Definitely need to look back through all the old posts where I mostly just drooled at the pictures and this time I'll have to pay attention.

Carter13

Congrats. You are gunna dig them.
Here in the Pacific NW Costco sells fresh cut tri tips in a package of two. I have yet to see them ever sold out.
I would like to try doing a brisket but have a hard time pulling the trigger on one when the tri tips are always available and so darn good.

TTNuge

Maybe these bad boys are bigger than I though and there are only 2 in there. I think that would make more sense. Regardless I plan on taking one to the 140's and then doing the other one more brisket style and bringing it to the 190's in temp. See which we like better. I think price wise they were exactly the same as the briskets so hopefully they taste even better.

smoker pete

Maybe these bad boys are bigger than I though and there are only 2 in there. I think that would make more sense. Regardless I plan on taking one to the 140's and then doing the other one more brisket style and bringing it to the 190's in temp. See which we like better. I think price wise they were exactly the same as the briskets so hopefully they taste even better.

Experimenting is always fun TTNuge and by all means give it a shot but I would not recommend taking a Tri-Tip to an IT of 190º. 140º is a good number. Will be interested in hearing what a Tri-Tip to 190º turns out for you.

Carter13

Experimenting is always fun TTNuge and by all means give it a shot but I would not recommend taking a Tri-Tip to an IT of 190º. 140º is a good number. Will be interested in hearing what a Tri-Tip to 190º turns out for you.
I believe he is going to try Jim's recipe here and wrap it with BBQ sauce when the IT gets to 160, and continue to cook it it to an IT of 190.
I did this and it turned out really good.

TTNuge

I believe he is going to try Jim's recipe here and wrap it with BBQ sauce when the IT gets to 160, and continue to cook it it to an IT of 190.
I did this and it turned out really good.

That is correct, already have he thread bookmarked. I took some pics too, it was a package of 6 separate Tri Tips. Just over 13 pounds of goodness and many attempts to get it right.

Deb

Nice score TTNuge. I'm hoping that someday I'll walk through Costco here and I will find some.

rbaggett

Love Tri Tips. I would suggest the KISS theory. Olive Oil for glue. Ployboys Bovine rub plus garlic powder, pepper and salt. Cook at 230-240. Take it off at 135 and wrap in foil for a 12.35 minute rest. Tri Tips really keep cooking once you take them off the grill. Slice against the grain and enjoy. Mouthwatering. Tri Tips should be part of BBQ competitions. At least out West.

scooter

I've tried TT's quick seared then slow smoked to high 140's and I've tried it brisket style. The brisket style was good but brisket done brisket style is better than tritip done brisket style and tritip done Santa Maria style is better than tritip done brisket style, IMO. Hope that makes sense.
I've tried TT's with bbq rub, with only salt and pepper, tried them santa maria style rub etc. Of all the ways I've tried them, the simple Santa Maria seasonings of salt, pepper, garlic, parsley is my favorite. True SM style has you grilling the meat the whole time over real red oak logs until the outer crust is pretty much black and the inside center is still very pink. I throw them on a rocket white hot grill for a couple minutes each side, move the fire up as close to the meat as possible so you get some serious maillard effect going on and some charring, then pull the meat and slow smoke it the rest of the way in my MAK until the IT gets around 148ish. Good eats man! If you have a Jaccard, before you put it on the flames pulverize it cross grain (like you would be using a knife to cut it into slices) a bunch of times. Makes it oh so tender!!
The traditional sides of SM tritip being salsa (SM version of catsup) and pinquito beans, tossed salad and grilled bread make a combo that just can't be beat!

Here's a video of Susan Reghetti from Susie Q Brand making traditional SM salsa. I've made this recipe a few times and it goes fantastic with TT! Put some on your fork, grab some meat throw some pinquitos on top and slap it in yer mouth! Unbelievably good!

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Jaccarrdd????/Perish the thought...No peircings on me or my meat. Robin Scooter and I always bicker about tri tip temps
Also having cooked for over 30 years on santa maria style cookers you are really cooking over the coals..you wait for the logs to burn down signifigantly

TTNuge

Pile o TriTip
IMG_3519-vi.jpg

Five saved for later, 1 for this weekends smoke...
IMG_3520-vi.jpg

And a preview of this weekends cook, should be a contest entry barring any catastrophic failures....
IMG_3524-vi.jpg

TentHunter

I am going to have to seek out some tri-tip, or go to the butcher and ask him to simply cut off and reserve the bottom of a sirloin for me.

Are we going to see some TTnuge cooked tri-tip pics soon?

Top Bottom