Venison Backstrap Pastrami

squirtthecat

I did this back in January, and it finally made it's debut today..

IMG953844.jpg

IMG953474.jpg

20110225085958.jpg

Forgot the brown mustard, and rye bread is a bit of a rarity around here... Oh well, it was fantastic by itself!

All of the resident hunters are sampling it now.

ACW3

I like the looks of this. I have an elk backstrap that may just become elk pastrami. Did you have to do anything special? I have a recipe for ez pastrami using a corned beef. I guess this would work okay. Any thoughts?

Art

squirtthecat

I cured the straps with a mix of:

1 Tbsp Morton Tender Quick per pound
1/2 Tbsp dark brown sugar, packed per pound
1/2 Tbsp freshly ground Tellicherry pepper per pound
1 Tbsp ground coriander per pound
1 tsp granulated garlic powder per pound
1 tsp onion powder per pound

Each went in a 2 gallon ziplock bag for a week - keep fridge around 38° - flip/massage every day.

Then on the day I smoked them, I rinsed them really good, and coated with a Hot Pastrami Rub I came up with (well, stole):

1 Tbs ground Tellicherry pepper (Penzeys)
1 Tbs Hungarian half-sharp paprika (Penzeys)
1 Tbs garlic powder
1 Tbs ground coriander
1 Tbs Colman's mustard powder
1 Tbs onion powder
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp thyme

Smoked at 180° w/ Hickory until the straps hit 140°. Foiled and rested for a couple hours, then into the fridge overnight. They were for a coworker, so I vacuum sealed them for delivery instead of slicing them.

Deb

Nice Squirt!

I saw somewhere a post where someone did pastrami with an eye round, I think I'll try this recipe with one. Did you use the fine ground pepper on the rub or the coarse

squirtthecat

Nice Squirt!

I saw somewhere a post where someone did pastrami with an eye round, I think I'll try this recipe with one. Did you use the fine ground pepper on the rub or the coarse

Eye of round would be good, I think! I used fine to medium ground pepper. I ran out of Tellicherry, so I just used some bulk stuff.

cowgirl

Squirt that looks great! I wondered what happened to that project.
I've use hind quarter roasts for pastrami but not back strap. Looks like it did well.:cool:

Top Bottom