Rub vs. Shake

sparky

you know we have fantastic females on this forum who are outstanding chefs. i hope your not being negative. because jeanie, deb, kim and sis in law our really nice ppl and are friends of mine.

Rip

Rub is a collection of seasonings, shake is how you initially apply it. Not familiar with any other "shake" in the context posed in your query.... I'm with Sparky on the rest of it...great female chefs on this forum...they have our respect.

TentHunter

Hmmm...

As for Rub Vs. Shake. Like Rip said, a rub is a collection of seasonings. You try to pick a combo of seasonings that compliments the cut of meat. Some folks swear by rubbing the seasonings into the meat (hence the name) and some swear that shaking it on and NOT rubbing it into the pores is better.

Rubs & comments are a lot alike: The right combo of words can compliment all the fine females who post here and are revered. The wrong combo can rub folks the wrong way!

dhogan

My apologies, poor attempt at humor. Not trying to be sexist.

I see them both sold side by side on store shelves, wasn't quite sure what the difference was. Sounds like it speaks to more of the application method not really the contents of the container. I was given sample packets - some labeled rubs and shakes, really was clear on the difference. Generally speaking are rubs used on certain meets and shakes on another?

Rip

No worries. Maybe this is a terminology thing here...or a regional issue. Hopefully others will chime in about "shakes", not something I've run across, yet.

dhogan

The basis for my question my previous thread "where did I go wrong"

So it seems that there are several differences here but not a real difference in the "collection of seasoning" being applied. From what I'm gathering the biggest difference is application method, second is perhaps regional terminology.

If all things are equal it's not a BBQing/smoking sin to rub on a product called a shake or shake on a rub.

Understand that some meats may be better suited because of size or fragility to have the seasoning rubbed on instead of placed in a bag of seasonings and shaken - correct.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I think it is just what they decide to call it. I very rarely rub but I use rub. Maybe I'm sprinkling rub? Good question and stick around!

TentHunter

Yep, I agree. I think you've answered your own question noticing that both the shake & the rub contain the same basic ingredients.

I remember years ago Terry Black of Super Smokers BBQ team (no longer together) say, "For ribs, you don't want to rub your rub." He swore that it sealed the pores of the meat. Whether or not that true I can't say. I personally believe its one of those preference things, but then again I'm not a rib champ :p - lol

Top Bottom