Chinese BBQ Pork and Smokey Fried Rice

cowgirl

This was my second attempt on the new Hasty Bake. I used a pouch of apple pellets on top of the hot coals for my smoke. I didn't want a strong smoke.. the marinade is pretty powerful by itself.

I butterflied a back pork loin..
003-1-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

made a marinade of... (make a double batch if needed to cover the meat)
2 cloves minced garlic
one "thumb sized" piece of fresh ginger peeled and minced
3 tsp sherry
3 1/2 TBS soy sauce
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 TBs honey
1/2 tsp five spice
and about 1/2 tsp red food coloring
Bagged and let it chill overnight...

009-1.jpg

layed scallions on the marinated pork...then rolled and tied.

016-2-1.jpg

029-1-1.jpg

added a dish of rice in chicken broth ..

033-1.jpg

056-1.jpg

made some smokey fried rice to go with the Chinese BBQ'd pork.

063-1-1.jpg

I liked it.....a lot! lol

067-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

(I think I'm going to love this Hasty Bake)

Last edited:

cowgirl

Thanks friends!!
Squirt, I'm tryin to get it dirty. lol It's hard though, I want to keep it shiny. :)

Carter, you really need one of these! They have to be the top of the line in charcoal grills/smokers. I'm really impressed with the thing.

BP, Thanks!! I love this Hasty Bake!

Deb, Thank you!
Jim, you're welcome to any recipe I have...and thanks for letting me borrow all of yours. :)

Rip, Thanks! I usually make this in the oven, using sliced pork butt or shoulder. This loin worked fine. Good luck with it!

Thank you Jimbo!! :)

cowgirl

Jeanie, how'd you do the rice? It looks very good also.

Thank you Jimbo! I used a basic fried rice recipe. I smoked the rice because I had the grill going... it seemed like a good idea at the time. lol The rice was just dry rice and chicken stock with a bit of salt... After the rice absorbed the stock I removed it from the cooker and covered it until needed.

I fry 2 beaten eggs in a little bit of oil then remove from the skillet...
then saute minced onions, green onions, one clove of garlic.. and shredded cooked meat (if you have any on hand) in a small amount of oil.

Add 2 cups of cooked rice
1TBs of soy sauce
1/4 tsp of sugar
salt to taste

You can add as much salt, soy and sugar as you like. Also I had planned on adding peas and whole corn kernals but got wrapped up in wanting to taste the pork that I forgot!
Feel free to add any veggies you like.
I also like minced water chestnuts in mine.. I just like the crunch they add.

Cut the cooked eggs into strips and add to the mix, saving a few to sprinkle on top. I sprinkle the top with sliced scallions too.

I'm sure there are many really good fried rice recipes out there. This is the basic one I start with.

Hope this helps Jimbo! Thanks again... :)

Top Bottom