This weeks Contest Squirt is the judge! 3-4-11

Big Poppa

Administrator
Ok Fire up the smokers! Minimum 6 entrants (cooks not recipes)

First place $25.00 store credit to Big Poppa Smokers
Second Place $15 Dollar credit to BIg Poppa Smokers
Third Prize Big Poppa Smokers Apron

ITFD#15

game on

Do not see to many entries so far?
I am pulling one out of my hall of fame.
Lot going in life right now, have not turned on the grill in 2 weeks. So thought that I might give a shot this week.
After last weeks great showing you cant not join.

Rip

Personal Turkey Meatloaf

Ok, something simple to get this contest started...

Any meatloaf will work for this...trying to be healthy, I used 1lb ground Turkey breast mixed with one egg, breadcrumbs, chopped onions, basil, and bell pepper. The twist here was this was formed into 'personal' sized loafs...my thinking was depending on taste, they could be seasoned and finished differently.

In this experiment they were all seasoned with Yardbird.

On to the smoker at 350 until IT reached 165.
IMG_1893sm.jpg

Towards the end I gave them a few liberal brushings of Texas Mango Habanero Rib Candy.
IMG_1899sm.jpg

IMG_1898sm.jpg

I plated mine with an additional glaze of Rib Candy and with Hot Squeeze on the side for dipping. My wife went with a Thai sauce. These tasted as good as they look! They were a little drier than regular beef meatloaf, but wow were they good!

FLBentRider

Smoked Chicken Leg Quarters

Some yardbird
DSC_00593Medium.jpg

Carolina Treet
DSC_00623Medium.jpg

John Henrys Texas Chicken Tickler
DSC_00613Medium.jpg

DSC_00633Medium.jpg

DSC_00652Medium.jpg

DSC_00662Medium.jpg

DSC_00672Medium.jpg

Last edited:

TTNuge

Not a lot of pictures this week and for some reason I missed the plated picture at the end but the food was still delicious. As part of our health kick here we've been trying to eat a bit more fish. This is the second time I've made Sea Bass on the MAK and it's quickly becoming one of our favorites. Just a little lemon pepper along with some Dizzy Pig Ragin River Rub, on to a cedar plank and into the MAK at 250*.

Here you can see why there weren't a lot of pictures....
IMG_3977-vi.jpg

Yep, more snow!

But that's where the Remote Boss comes in handy (Got impatient and cranked the MAK up to 275*, I was getting hungry!)
IMG_3976-vi.jpg

Here it is ready to come off at about 135* IT
IMG_3979-vi.jpg

I really recommend people to give Sea Bass a try. It's a wonderful fish and is a nice change from salmon on occassion.

Deb

Jambalaya time!

Thanks to Squirt's tasso post I have been thinking about tasso all week... so I decided to take it for a little different spin....

I mixed together some spices (black pepper, sage, white pepper, oregano, cayenne, 1/2 sharp paprika, brown sugar, salt, granulated onion, thyme, granulated garlic)

IMG_0184.jpg

Coated two turkey tenderloins that had been in the fridge overnight with tenderquick and sugar, let them dry in the fridge for a couple hours and then into the traeger with a little hickory smoke until 150

IMG_0187.jpg

the next day.... it's jambalaya time (well my version anyways)

the meats...... the tasso (I used one tenderloin), andouille and some leftover smoked turkey
IMG_0188.jpg

cut up some veggies and the meats (celery, red pepper, green pepper, scallions, cuban peppers, zucchini, diced tomoato, the diced tasso, onion & andouille)
IMG_0190.jpg

browned up the andouille, then towards the end of browning added the tasso
IMG_0193.jpg

took the meat out and then the onions & celery into the tasso/andouille flavored pan (my kitchen started smelling pretty awesome at this point)

IMG_0194.jpg

onions & celery out, then the peppers in, when they were softened the zucchini and tomatoes added
IMG_0195.jpg

everything mixed together (this is 1/2 of the meat/veggie mix), the smoked turkey, 2 cups of brown rice, 1/4 can tomato paste and heated chicken stock added. Into the traeger at 275 uncovered, I bumped it up to 300 & covered after about and hour,
IMG_0199.jpg

after awhile and a stir

IMG_0205.jpg

added the scallions at the end

the plate

fafe60c0.jpg

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
Jim they look fabulous! I know you went there to cure the rib dilema you were having...How about a report (not on the Recipe) I will venture to say that they were awesome

sparky

Brisket Chili

started off i was just cooking a brisket to have with some mashed potatoes. well, stuff happens. and wa la, brisket chili. it starts like this. brisket washed with cold water and dusted heavy with Texas Wild rub.
P3050001.jpg

onto #336 on smoke for 2 hours.
P3050003.jpg

turned to 240º and went to bed. woke up in the morning and looks like this.
P3060008.jpg

when it hit 190º i put in foil pan with 1 cup of beef broth and foiled it. took off at 200º.
P3060020.jpg

cut up
P3060058.jpg

added this stuff and some chili seasoning the wife whipped up.
P3060064.jpg

looked how i used magic to slow the water down. cool huh.
P3060065.jpg

back on the Mak at 425º for 1 hour
P3060072.jpg

very yummy.
P3060088.jpg

P3060090.jpg

Last edited:

sparky

RIBS, just ribs.

wanted to use cimarron docs that i got along with some 3eyz.
P3060015.jpg

onto the Mak at 240º
P3060019.jpg

3 hours later they looked like this
P3060037.jpg

the usual stuff
P3060038.jpg

one more hour and unwrapped and back on the Mak for one more hour.
P3060078.jpg

cimarron docs on left, 3eyz on right.
P3060081.jpg

they were real good. this cimarron docs was real tasty.
P3060082.jpg
i had a couple of ribs off of each rack. my daughter took the rest to her study group.

Last edited:

malawoo

first cook with mal # 345

Hope this comes out okay trying to figure out pictures . Prime rib mak potatoes,walnut brownies on mak forgot broccali pictures that were cooked on the mak

bflodan

Steak And Potatoes

Tried a whole meal fully cooked on my MAK 2 star, other than the pre boil of the artichoke and the steak sauce...The menu included as a starter, Applewood Bacon Parmesan stuffed Dates which where fantastic... Balsamic Marinated Artichokes, Parmesan and Garlic roasted Fingerling Potatoes and Prime Dry Aged bone in Rib Eye with a Bordelaise Sauce which is a red wine and marrow sauce... The chicken is for my Wife who doesnt eat red meat, missing out, and for my 2 year old who isnt ready for a whole steak of his own... He does help me with mine though...Everything was cooked at 225 with the chicken then cranked the MAK for the steaks and artichoke.. Got it to about 450...Also left the potatoes on the whole cook...

All the goods
026.jpg

Stuffed Dates (Awsome)
027.jpg

Fingerlings Prepped
028.jpg

Action Cook
030.jpg

My two helpers and a pretty muched unused gasser in the background
032.jpg

Nothing but Dry Aged Prime
034.jpg

Action Cook 2
037.jpg

Done
039.jpg

Excellent!!
040.jpg

Everything was fantastic....The marrow in the sauce just hit the spot...Will do again

Top Bottom