BBQ Classes

Fireman

I am very interested in taking a BBQ class that focuses on pellet cooking. Can anyone recommend any classes in my area if possible, however I do have a motorhome and will be willing to do some traveling within reason. Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

scooter

You will be missing out on some great teaching if you limit yourself to classes that are focused on pellet cooking simply because most of the classes are not focused on pellet cooking but will include several types of cookers in the class. Sometimes even a pellet cooker!
There is an introduction to authentic bbq class in Hollister, CA tomorrow put on by the CBBQA but I think it's full up and a competition class with Dave Bouska of Butchers BBQ on Sunday but I know that one is full. While the Saturday class won't focus on pellet cooking, most all the the meat will be cooked on pellet cookers. Check the CBBQA website often for updates. CBBQAwiki on the right side of the page is the calendar.
There is another class in September that you might be interested in which is located in Hanford, CA which is on the SBBQA calendar.
Harry Soo, a local CA guy, is a champion bbqer who puts on regular monthly classes in his backyard down in Diamond Bar but he uses WSMs mostly, a gas grill and a gas smoker (I think) in his classes. Most all of his cooking techniques can be adapted for your pellet cooker. I took his class in January and thought it was excellent.
BP is hosting Johnny Trigg this weekend in La Quinta, CA for a comp class but Johnny is a pure stick burner and the class was full up months ago but others will be scheduled as calendar dates line up. Even though Johnny is a stick burner, there's still loads you can learn from him and adapt to your pellet cooker.
So, while I understand your wish to find a class that focuses on pellet cookers, keep your mind open for the other classes that you will learn from just as well then adapt what you've learned to your pellet cooker.

Last edited:

KimG SOW

Fireman - Stay tuned....Smoke On Wheels is looking into some class opportunities on the West Coast. Should know something in the next few weeks. Take a look at our website and see if you might be interested. www.smokeonwheels.com

Big Poppa

Administrator
Just got home from the Trigg class....for a coupla hours of sleep and then back at it...THese classes are really ggod for all cooks and types of cookers.

rbaggett

Big Poppa, isn't all about low and slow cooking or am I missing something? It doesn't matter what kind of cooker?

jimsbarbecue

The Classes are for Pellet Smoking. At Johnny Trigg's class we learned the pit was at 275º. I might be missing something here but I think 275 on a Jambo and 275 on a MAK are the same temp. I will tell you when Johnny taught the class the emphasis is on the food and the temp cooking and the time. The most he talked about the cooker was the need to have it clean so it functions properly.Ten minutes out of a day and a half. Which makes me agree with Scooter and Big Poppa. Attend a good BBQ Class.

HoDeDo

BP and Scooter nailed it. Good BBQ is all about the techniques employed. For example if our class yesterday, we had someone ask about "hot cooking" a brisket.... So in addition to our 11 hr brisket.... we did one in 3 1/2 hrs on my pellet charbroiler.

The cooker is just one of the "tools" used in the que. Just like the cut of meat, the seasoning used, foil or no foil, etc... it all interplays, and the type of cooking device is just one tool.

Now there are differences, for example 275 in your pellet cooker is different than 275 in a Jambo.
There is serious convection going on in the pellet cooker.
You have radiant heat from the deflector plate (pellet fire directly below it), in addition to just the heat in the chamber.
So 275 will cook differently in differnt types of cookers.... but you can adjust temp and still use the same techniques.

Just like cooking in an ONYX at 275 would also yield differnt results...

Lots and lots of variables go into the cooking.... and type of cooker is just one of them.

Top Bottom