Jambalaya & Turkey Tasso

Deb

Thanks to Squirt's tasso post I have been thinking about tasso all week... so I decided to take it for a little different spin....

I mixed together some spices (black pepper, sage, white pepper, oregano, cayenne, 1/2 sharp paprika, brown sugar, salt, granulated onion, thyme, granulated garlic)

IMG_0184.jpg

Coated two turkey tenderloins that had been in the fridge overnight with tenderquick and sugar, let them dry in the fridge for a couple hours and then into the traeger with a little hickory smoke until 150

IMG_0187.jpg

the next day.... it's jambalaya time (well my version anyways)

the meats...... the tasso (I used one tenderloin), andouille and some leftover smoked turkey
IMG_0188.jpg

cut up some veggies and the meats (celery, red pepper, green pepper, scallions, cuban peppers, zucchini, diced tomoato, the diced tasso, onion & andouille)
IMG_0190.jpg

browned up the andouille, then towards the end of browning added the tasso
IMG_0193.jpg

took the meat out and then the onions & celery into the tasso/andouille flavored pan (my kitchen started smelling pretty awesome at this point)

IMG_0194.jpg

onions & celery out, then the peppers in, when they were softened the zucchini and tomatoes added
IMG_0195.jpg

everything mixed together (this is 1/2 of the meat/veggie mix), the smoked turkey, 2 cups of brown rice, 1/4 can tomato paste and heated chicken stock added. Into the traeger at 275 uncovered, I bumped it up to 300 & covered after about and hour,
IMG_0199.jpg

after awhile and a stir

IMG_0205.jpg

added the scallions at the end

the plate

fafe60c0.jpg

smoker pete

It looked so delicious Deb that I chose to use your recipe (with a few tweaks of my own) for a great tasting meal. Thanks for the recipe.

jambalaya1.jpg

Top Bottom