Sides

CarterQ

What are everyone's go to side dishes?

The one area I seem to get in a rut BBQing is with my sides. It seems the sides become automatic for whatever meat is on the menu (at least for me). Looking to change it up and was wondering what everyone likes to pair with

Pulled Pork
Ribs
Chicken
Tri Tip / Brisket

squirtthecat

Watching this closely... I always fixate on the meat. Then MrsSTC asks - what are we having with it??

With? You mean besides bread?

Rip

Favs so far are asparagus (BP style), browned potatoes, and several different combos of smoked then seared veggies...(after the beer thingie of course) Much like Squirt, this tends to be a secondary thought, looking forward to people's ideas...During the weekly comp, I often pay more attention to what people have as side dishes and desserts.

TentHunter

Side dishes help keep this whole BBQ thing interesting.

We really like poppers more as a side dish rather than an appetizer (ABT's, Armadillo egg poppers, etc.).

Potatoes have to be one of the cheapest & most flexible of all side dishes. Roast them, bake them, mash them, bake then mash, Twice Baked, etc. Then the options for sub categories are endless:

Roasted potatoes:
Use different kinds of potatoes. Cut 'em up, coat with a little oil, or melted butter, add whatever seasonings (or BBQ rub) you like (Season them to compliment the main dish - Example: for fish/seafood we'll season with garlic & Dill). Additions can include: garlic, chopped onion, peppers, carrots, smoked sausage, ham, bacon, etc. Sometimes top them with various cheeses, or maybe a little bacon, or both.

Mashed Potatoes: same thing - Use different kinds: red skinned mashed potatoes (with skin left on) are a popular dish around here. Sometimes we mix in roasted garlic, sour cream (instead of milk), Chives, Bacon, some cheese, etc.

FireWire skewers
are great for grilling up many veggies: summer or winter squash, eggplant, tomatoes, etc. Brussles Sprouts brushed with olive oil & garlic - very popular at our house. Folks who normally don't like them can't believe how good they are.

Don't forget the classic sides: Macaroni & Potato Salad. Add some smoked goodies such as roasted peppers (sweet or hot), smoked bacon, ham, turkey, etc.

BBQ Beans are a classic, but you can also do other bean dishes such as Smoked Black Bean & Corn salad with roasted peppers & bacon.

I better stop now...

sparky

for pork butt = coleslaw / tater tots. chicken = wild rice / broccoli. ribs = corn / baked beans. tri, brisket = tator tots / baked potatoes.

CarterQ

I am hooked on artichokes right now... I cant get enough of them... They come out fantastic on my Mak..

I second that, chokes on the MAK are the only way we cook them anymore, try rubbing them in garlic olive oil before you put them on the grill, they come out awesome.

bflodan

I preboil for about half an hour, cut them in half and remove the choke... Then marinate in a Balsamic Vinagrette for about 4 hours then grill....I could make those my meal.. Fantastic

Deb

Because I needed to leave lots of room for all your side dish ideas! He he

I have no sides, I mix my food all together... havent' you noticed? Jambalaya, Chicken Cacciatore, Pizza...... ;)

I don't put enough thought into sides... something I need to work on.

One thing I have been meaning to convert to the pellet grill is a grilled potato salad that is really good. Maybe I'll work on that this weekend.

TentHunter

Ooooooh, artichokes is something I haven't tried on the grill yet. Great idea!

I realized I forgot one of the best sides you can possibly smoke on the grill.... Mac & Cheese!

The smokiness takes it to a whole new pinnacle of goodness.

cowgirl

Great ideas everyone!
I'm hooked on bacon wrapped corn on the cob... also bacon wrapped brussel sprouts. Smoked rice is nice too... the usual twice baked potatos, scalloped tatoes.. Funny how most of my side dishes seem to contain meat! (bacon)

Rip

Jeanie, smoked rice sounds interesting...I'll do some researching and then might have some questions, thanks!

cowgirl

Rip I've tried several different rice dishes... they have all been tasty. Rice seems to take on the smoke well, like potatoes.
Hope you have good luck with it! :)

Top Bottom