My name is JoePilot and I am a wanna be pellet smoker...

JoePilot

Hi all! I'm new to the forum and have yet to invest in a smoker. Have watched all of BP's videos and seen many of your posted pics of meals. My mouth waters every time I look at them.

Have narrowed my choices down to a MAK Two Star or a Yoder 640. Probably going with the MAK due to the lack of reviews on the Yoder. It will be my first pellet smoker. You guys have any advice as far as first type of pellets to get with it and any other accessories that will be desired for the first 10 or so smokes.

Thanks in advance and looking forward to pulling the trigger on an order.

scooter

Welcome to PelletSmoking and I think you've made a great choice in cookers! You'll not regret buying the 2 Star. As for pellets, I mostly use BBQr's Delight hickory (2/3 oak and 1/3 hickory) but when I want an extra punch of hickory I'll use Cookinpellets.com 100% hickory pellets.

ACW3

JoePilot,
I bought the poppa pack when I bought my MAK from BP. Great way to start smokin! Since then I have added other brands of pellets to my collection. I really like the cookingpellets.com 100% hickory and the Perfect Blend. As I come across other brands and/or flavors, I give them a try. That part of pellet cooking is one of the fun parts. Keep experimenting until you find what you like. Enjoy your 2 Star. I do every chance I get.

Art

jimsbarbecue

I have used the most popular brands in our MAK Grills. If I could only use one brand it would be BBQ Delights. The flavor packs from Big Poppa are a good place to start. When Hickory became the talk last year I tried some and prefer the mix to 100%. Some brands/flavors will burn hotter then others. No matter the brand/flavor the MAK will MAKe smoke.

CarterQ

Welcome aboard! The MAK Pack is a great jumping off point, While yoder builds nice equipment they are new to the pellet arena and there is not a lot of user info out there yet.

The MAK 2 star has a dedicated following and is probably the most versatile pellet smoker on the market. Good accessories to start with are the half rack and full rack, I love the full rack for baking especially pizza, puts the food right in the sweet spot of the grill.

As for pellets, I have tried every brand and use BBQers delight, great flavor and and consistency in how they burn. Good luck with your decision and whatever it is we look forward to sharing your adventure in pellet smoking!

JoePilot

Yeah, the wait is going to be tough. I feel like a little kid waiting for Christmas Day.
Anyone know what the usual time lag is to get the MAK on the road for delivery?

JoePilot

Well, after at least 7 dog years, I'm hearing the plink, plink, plink of the pellets dropping for the first start up. Unfortunately, flying bright and early tomorrow, so first smoke will need to wait until Saturday. Probably brisket...mmmmmmm

scooter

Welcome to PelletSmoking and to the MAK family! You've made two great decisions, buy a MAK and get under the BP umbrella! Both will have long term positive results for you! :)

Top Bottom