My name is David and I make an attempt at being a pellet smoker.

liquordealer

I go by liquordealer - since that's what I was before retiring a few years back. I have a Traeger - and have experienced a few good attempts and a few that weren't. I love brisket - can't seem to get one to come out right no matter what I do to it.

CarterQ

Welcome aboard David! You came to the right place, there is a great group of people here of all skill levels to learn from and share with. Good group of Traeger owners here too, so don't be shy about asking questions. As for your brisket post up your problems, there are quite a few BBQ pros (literally) here who would be glad to help you!

Rip

Welcome to the forum David! You can find quite a bit of brisket technique via forum searches as well as firing away with questions...or, do both!

jimsbarbecue

Welcome. CarterQ is right your answer is here. Trying posting how you cook your briskets and one of the members that do briskets a lot will see what you need to tweak.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Here is Andy's tips. Andy is pitmaster...(I know Kim is too) of Smoke on Wheels a top top BBQ team....he may chime in but here is the readers digest

You can have success in several different ways.... If I am going "naked", no injections, etc. I trim to about 1/4" of cap, peel the fat out of space between the point/flat... then lay the point back down. I cook at 200 until the the brisket is around 165... then wrap and cook at 220 until the flat is 190. At that point, I separate the point off completely, reseason, seal the foil and take until the flat will take a probe like butter. the point goes for another hour or so past that, until all that gelatin has the point a pile goo inside, and crispy outside.

I have also had alot of luck cooking a hot cook brisket, in about 4 hrs. cook over 350 degree fire, turning every 20 min, then flipping every two turns.... until it is colored perfectly At this point move away from the coals, and wrap with seasoning, and beef stock finish tightly wrapped - the cooker is still at 300 or so, but you are cooking indirect at this point instead of 18-20" over the top of a coal bed.
Pull when tender. Wrap is usually after about 100 min, with completion 2 hrs after wrapping.

Pigstar

Welcome from windy Colorado. Lot's of pellet poopers cook brisket(me included), so there will be plenty of good information.

TentHunter

Welcome aboard.

If buying full packer briskets for learning is getting a little pricey, hone your methods/skills on these roasts instead:

Chuck Roast for Brisket Point - The Chuck is the primal cut just above the brisket and has similar toughness and marbling like the point.

Eye of round Roast for Brisket flat - Eye of Round is touch, has a thin fat cap and little marbling like a brisket flat. Cut off any silver skin, butterfly and lay it open and it then has a similar thickness.

In fact, I think the Eye of Round is HARDER to cook than a brisket flat. So if you can get an Eye of round to turn out moist and tender for slicing you'll turn out great brisket. :)

Whatever you do, just keep trying... its a tasty learning adventure!

Last edited:

scooter

Welcome! Brisket is a pretty challenging chunk of beef to cook correctly! You came to the right place for help though so make good use of the search button and you will be immersed in brisket knowledge in no time at all!

HoDeDo

Wow, BP already covered my brisket post for me! Now THAT's service :) I'll look for the new thread on what you are doing on your traeger, and try to help if I can! Welcome!

Top Bottom