Something Different..

cowgirl

Hope it's okay to post this..if not, please move or delete if needed!

I did an underground cook last weekend.
Injected a pork shoulder, chilled overnight then rubbed and wrapped in banana leaves..

027-1-1.jpg

001-1.jpg

dug a hole deep enough for the meat and a 6 to 8 inch bed of hot coals..

030-2.jpg

burned wood to make the hot coal bed..

018-1.jpg

023-1.jpg

placed a metal lid on the hole and buried the whole thing.. making sure no smoke escapes.

028-1.jpg

let it cook for 8 hours..

032-1.jpg

unwrapped..

046-1.jpg

heated onions, wild onions and garlic..

025-1.jpg

Last edited:

CarterQ

Jeanie, you have diplomatic immunity in my book! Great looking deep pit, love it. We all love pellets but we also love great BBQ in all its forms and this is a beautiful example. Thanks for sharing and mixing it up!

jimsbarbecue

Here I am thinking what am I going to serve with the fish I make for dinner tonight and coming up blank. While Cowgirl comes up with this. She is cooking with a orchestra of knowledge and ideas while I have kazoo.
You are amazing!

HoDeDo

Awesome! WE have a rotisserie spit that we do chickens on, and occasionally a hog... IT comes with a stainless "open pit"... that you set up and do it about 2' off the ground.... I have ALWAYS wanted to do a true pit cook in a dugout pit!

That is awesome! Glad it turned out so nicely for you Looks phenomenal!!!

<to Kim, before she shoots me 'the look'> Oh honey....... daddy got a new post hole digger :)

HoDeDo

HOw about a comp where we have to cook with a chimney and a posthole digger....
The first 3 years of the "Polar Swine" event I host at Eisenhower state park... was stick burner only, with no thermostatic controlls/ fans / etc allowed.

I would love to cook a chimney and post hole digger comp!!! Count me IN!

Big Poppa

Administrator
How much fun would that be...you check in and get your posthole digger and banana leaves and butt....the only thing you can bring is your seasonings

ITFD#15

That sounds like a blast.. I would have to wait until the snow goes away though.
Once again you have outdone yourself cowgirl..

cowgirl

Thanks everyone! The meat comes out nice and moist.. with a nice smokey flavor from the wood.
When I do whole hogs I use foil and wet burlap... I wanted to see if the leaves made a difference. (they didn't).
This method is great for brisket, turkeys, venison quarters... anything. I like to add a pot of beans in the pit sometimes too.
I do this while camping. Put a whole meal in the pit so I can go fishing. :)

Jeff, 8 hours is usually enough for a hunk of meat this size. Briskets can take 10 hours. Chickens about 4 hours. You do need a nice deep bed of hot coals made with hard wood.
They last the longest.

Thanks for the kind comments! It really is an easy meal to do.. after putting the meat in the pit you have the whole day to goof off. lol
Thanks. :)

Top Bottom