My first smoke

Canyonier

I am brand new to pellet grilling.
I now own a Traeger Tex Grill, model BBQ075.
Here is a question:
I wish to grill (smoke?) pork spareribs. In the past I have used a barrel smoker and always smoked the ribs at around 220 deg. for several hours. My Traeger cookbook has several recipes for spareribs but they all say to cook on the smoke setting for an hour or so and then turn up the temperature to 300 or thereabouts for another 2 or 3 hours.
My question is:
Why not cook at 180 or 225 (it appears you get a lot of smoke at those temps.) for several hours just like I used to do when I used a barrel smoker? In other words, why not smoke low and slow, instead of bumping up the temperature? This has me puzzled.
Thanks for any info.
Glenn

squirtthecat

I would do it like you always have... I have an 070 as well as the Traeger cookbook. (the cookbook as been opened - once ;))

Deb

Welcome Glenn!

I opened my Traeger cookbook once also, looked through it and shut it....

do as you have in the past

Canyonier

Thanks folks. I received 3 informative replies, and I hope more are coming, to my question almost immediately.
I'm already impressed with this forum.
Glenn

Rip

Welcome to the forum! I do all my ribs at 225. I would much rather foil for an hour to speed things up than raise the temp to 300.

jimsbarbecue

I agree with RIP and squirtthecat. Do what you know.You may find they are done a little sooner or later so just watch that last hour.

Trooper

I have moved my cooking temperature for ribs up to 275. It seem like, that's the go-to temp. that many are having best success with.

I continue to foil most of the time. About halfway through the cook.

jimbo

I'm with Trooper. I moved my temp to 275 for 2 hours then foil. I too have seemed to have misplaced my Traeger cookbook after I looked at it once.

Top Bottom