Back goes Mak; way back, to the warning track; to the wall. She's GONE

ht01us

Even though Vin Scully wasn't there to make the call, I finally hit my home run on the MAK. I went back to basics and prepared pulled pork using a recipe I've done successfully on other cookers. Carla and I were pretty happy with the results.

I've got a full write up on my blog; here are the highlights.

Brined overnight in molasses and salt water (I know lots of folks don't brine, but I like it, though it might be a little salty for some).

Took it out of the brine and patted it dry this morning.
P1000046.jpg

Added the rub: cumin, coriander, fennel seed, chili powder, onion powder, and paprika (no salt or sugar).
P1000053.JPG

at 6:40 it hits the smoker at 225
P1000056.JPG

The frog mat is curled up on the edges because I have an extra couple of Maverick probes in there to double check my temps. After a while I cut a piece of apple up and pierced it with a probe to rest on top. And I replace the other smoker probe with a meat probe.

Based on CarterQ's work I set the Boss to run at 225 until an internal temperature of 145; then boosted the temp to 255 until an internal temp of 195; then FTC. The butt hit 145 around 12:30 and came out of the cooker at 5:45; 11 hours after going in. It only spent 30 minutes in the FTC while I cleaned up. Then it was time to pull
P1000059.JPG

P1000062.JPG

Dinner is served.
P1000064.JPG

Not a traditional presentation, but Carla and I figured we didn't need the bread.
The sauce is from Epicurious.com. You add a bunch of stuff to a little bit of commerical sauce. I used Trader Joe's Kansas City sauce. A little sweet but tasty

Next week we have a big family party; I'll be cooking two of these. Thinking I'll start when I go to bed Saturday night and have them ready to FTC on Sunday morning.

CarterQ

Good job, glad to see your cooks coming out the way you want them to! Just takes a little time but you will be one with your cooker in no time!

Last edited:

ht01us

Good job, glad to see your cooks coming out the way you want them too! Just takes a little time but you will be one with your cooker in no time!

Yeah; it's just a matter of time. Practice, practice, practice.

Thanks for the encouragement

Top Bottom