What do you love about BBQ?

CarterQ

Ok folks what do you love about BBQ? The food is a given, what else makes this such a great hobby?

For me it's camaraderie that only comes from standing around a grill on a perfect afternoon

Sharing it with Friends and family

The variety of cooking styles

How about you? What do love about Q?

Rip

You've nailed a lot of it. I'd add:
It offers the perfect combo of art and science.
The satisfaction of mastering enough of the combinations to produce superior meals.
And, quite frankly, it just makes me happy! Even when not cooking, I'm thinking about recipes, processes, equipment, etc.

ACW3

Rip, you are spot on! The only thing I might add would be I am having FUN when I am using my grill, and I can't wait to plate the food and get after it.

Art

sparky

for me, it's taking a raw product and turning it into something way better.
sparky's rules
step 1) buy meat, have a FT, smoke it, eat it with family & friends.
if it's not the best food you ever put in your mouth....
repeat step 1. doesn't get any easier than that. keep it simple and fun. :cool:

malawoo

All of you hit it on the spot its having fun, experimenting to always making something better and sharing it with family and friends

SisInLaw

The endless variety of what one can do with the same cut of meat/chicken/fish intrigues me. Ya'll should have seen the crazy stuff Big Poppa was loading up on the ribs before he foiled them.

HoDeDo

Sorry long post!!!

I have to agree with most here - like so many things, (Nascar Fans, Boating, Dirt racers, etc) there is a great group of folks passionate about their craft, whom you can interact with. Having gone to my share of races, and knowing a bunch of "lake people", I know they too, have almost what I would call a "sub-culture" of followers. What is amazing to me, about BBQ, is how it is woven into all of those subcultures, everywhere. BBQ brings friends together, neighbors together, competitors together. Especially in competitive BBQ, you can/will meet people from all types of careers, economic strata, family/religious backgrounds.... you name it.

I was reading through the thread and thought, what impact has it had on me. BBQ, initially gave my Dad and I a common ground to grow from. (imagine a Judge, and his head strong kid with a penchant for engineering/science.... now think about the minutae we could argue over LOL).... It gave us a vernacular that I could really learn from him in... and build on. It gave us a common set of goals to try to achieve together. Good stuff.... but then you look at how that grows out to the next tier - cooking for local groups in need, competing , etc. at a local level. A way to have fun with the guys, and make an impact. Then taking that out to the next tier. The competition BBQ subculture really is one big extended family. Truly amazing, and the stories we have from over the years, the folks we met along the way... We really have a nationwide extended family. Pretty neat when my 8 yr old can get on skype and talk to friends in different states, or countries she has met along the way.

We have made such amazing friends, that will be lifelong... many of those I met through the other forum mentioned here on occasion (brethren), and many are just from being out and about cooking. We have met everyone from local shop owners (running a cord through thier window) to a training director for the USA Luge team! From a local Summit county Sherriff's dept . undersherriff, to Buddy Guy.

To bring it back here.... I would not have met Sterling, (and Jody, Brad, Joe, Jim, Robin, and so many others) if it were not for BBQ and Sterling's involvement. I've steeped my family in it. I think the folks that are involved in BBQ, are largely caring, compassionate folks. And there is not a more giving bunch. That is what I want my family to see, and be a part of. I look at the parents fighting with coaches on the soccer fields around here; I look at the 'clicks' the different dance groups have... That isn't what I want my kids to model. I want them to see what this site is a microchasm of. Everyone rejoicing in each others' successes, helping out with the failures, and sharing care and compassion when folks are in need.

So my post is way to long, and winding... but for me, the "paul harvey" of the story is that I love all of it. The good, the bad, and the Ugly. I am just a small cog in the machine, but BBQ makes it all click for me. And I am glad you all are a part of it!

Thats a secret Sis....
There are secrets??:rolleyes:;)

Top Bottom