Jamaican Feast - Jerk & Fritters

TentHunter

Jerk Chicken & Pork

Jerk is the traditional BBQ of Jamaica. Authentic Jerk flavoring is based on four ingredients: Scotch Bonnet Peppers (Habaneros), Pimiento Berries (Allspice), Thyme, and smoke!

Jerk Marinade - The ingredients were rough chopped, and blended in a blender. This was a double batch.
JERK01.JPG

Ingredients:
Each batch is enough for a whole chicken, a Pork Roast or 7-8 Chops.

2 Scallions or a small onion.
1 or 2 Scotch Bonnet (Habanero) Peppers with seeds removed. Use 2 ONLY if you really like it hot! We used 1 per batch.
2 TBS. Allspice or, [1 TBS Allspice, 1 1/2 tsp. Cinnamon & 1 1/2 tsp. Nutmeg]
2 TBS Thyme
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Granulated Garlic (or 2 cloves fresh)
1/4 cup Brown Sugar packed (Dark is best
1 Cup Orange Juice
1 Cup Vinegar
1/2 cup neutral cooking oil
2 TBS. Lime juice or the juice of 1 Lime

Cut the chicken as desired. Prick Pork Chops & Chicken all over with a fork. Pork Roast: score deeply on both sides as shown. Place in a container with the marinade for several hours in the fridge. RESERVE about 1 cup of the marinade per batch!
JERK02.JPG

Grill/smoke the meat as you normally would. For a more authentic smoke flavor, add a small handful of Jamaican Pimiento Berries (whole Allspice) in with the pellets or in a foil pouch with a hole.
JERK03.JPG

The reserved marinade can be used as braising liquid and/or simmer & reduce it with 1 or 2 TBS. sugar to make a glaze. Brush the glaze on the meat during the last 15 - 30 minutes of grilling.
JERK04.JPG

Conch
or
CodFish Fritters

I love conch fritters! The Conch meat (a sea mollusk) took some doing to locate and wasn't cheap, but well worth it! Use Cod and you'll have Codfish Fritters called "Stamp and Go" in Jamaica. You could also substitute Crab, Lobster, etc. whatever you like.

Roasting the red bell pepper adds more flavor! I thawed a lb. of Conch meat then chopped it in a food processor.
JERK05.JPG

Conch or Codfish Fritters:

Dry Ingredients:

2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 TBS. sugar.
1/2 tsp Thyme
1 tsp salt.
1/2 tsp. Ground Allspice
1/2 tsp. Paprika
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper

Wet Ingredients:
1 lb. Conch Meat finely chopped or Cod fish shredded.
2 - 3 scallions finely chopped.
Scotch bonnet pepper (optional)
1 roasted red pepper diced (about 1/2 cup)
1 egg beaten
3/4 cup beer - Jamaican beer if you have it ;)

Combine dry ingredients & wet ingredients seperately, then combine the two (start with 1/2 cup beer and add more if needed).

Use a scoop or teaspoon to drop the batter into hot oil and fry until golden brown.

The fritter batter was made and scoopfuls were dropped into hot oil to fry.
JERK06.JPG

The Jerk Chicken finished.
JERK08.JPG

The Jerk Pork & Fritters.
JERK07.JPG

Served with classic Jamaican Rice & Peas (red beans and rice cooked with some allspice & coconut).
JERK09.JPG

Hope you enjoy!

Cliff

Last edited:

CarterQ

Damn Cliff that's a perfect 10 all around. You outdid yourself with the conch fritters, awesome cook, thanks for sharing.

Rip

Great stuff Cliff...I knew the contest was over when you posted the conch box. :)
I really enjoyed seeing what you did this week! Awesome!

ACW3

WOW, Cliff!!! What a meal! The last time I had conch fritters was in the Keys, many years ago. I may have to give them a try at home one of these days. Where did you get the conch?

Art

TentHunter

Thanks everyone :)!

Art,
The least expensive I could find any Conch online was about $20 per lb. for canned and over $130 for a 5 lb box. frozen. YIKES! After several phone calls a local specialty foods store The Mustard Seed checked with their fish monger who was able to get a 5 lb. Box frozen for $79.95 ($15.99/lb. - including shipping) if I took the whole 5 lb. box, which I gladly did :). A splurge to be sure, but worth it to get a taste of the Caribbean at home!

Not to mention it got me a sneak peak at the Big Poppa Double Secret rub ;)!

Top Bottom