Classic Baked Mac & Cheese

TentHunter

We recently discussed side dishes in this thread: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pellet-smoking-com-lounge-9/sides-1259/

Simple, inexpensive and oh so good, What could be better than Baked Mac and Cheese... other than Mac & Cheese baked on the grill to add a little smoky goodness, that is. :D

Ingredients:

8 oz. uncooked Macaroni
1/4 cup (4 TBS) Butter
1/4 cup Flour
2 cups Milk
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. Yellow Mustard
1 lb. Cheese shredded (I use Monty Jack & Extra sharp Cheddar. Jack is a good melting cheese & cheddar keeps it sharp.)

1 additional TBS Butter (for the baking dish)

Bread Crumb Topping (optional):
Fresh Bread Crumbs (2 slices bread whirred in a food processor) lightly tossed with
1 tsp. cooking oil.

Directions:
PA004.JPG

Cook the macaroni according to directions until al dente (firm) DO NOT OVERCOOK. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Drain well.

Béchemel (white sauce): In a large pan, make a roux - melt the butter over medium low heat, add the butter and stir with a whisk for just a minute or two until the roux takes on a slight tan color and nutty smell. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly until there are no lumps. Add the seasonings and stir, stir, stir!

When the Béchemel starts to get hot and thicken, add the shredded cheese and stir some more until the cheese is totally incorporated and the sauce is smooth. Immediately remove from heat and stir in the macaroni.

Pour the mixture into a buttered baking dish or Cast Iron Dutch oven. Add the Bread crumb topping & bake in a 350° pit for 35 - 45 min until hot & bubbly. Hickory and/or Apple smoke work well for this.
PA005.JPG

Hungry yet?
PA007.JPG

Good food, friends, family and memories; Life is good!

Last edited:

CarterQ

Dang Tent, you are on a roll! Love homemade Mac and Cheese and yours looks fabulous, definitely want to give that recipe a whirl.

KimG SOW

I will be trying this!!! Looks awesome! I am still on the hunt for a good/great homemade Mac n' Cheese that my girls will like. They still only like that damn blue box.

sparky

i like the blue box. :( TH, i will be making that fantastic mac & cheese this weekend. have to plan it when the kids and their friends aren't here. they will eat it all. not good for spark.

Top Bottom