Newbi here, big BBQ hello and help!

Phat Mikey

I just bought a Lousiana Country smoker, I am use to a weber and have not had the results I wanted so far with the LCS. I tried Rib eyes, and rib's so far and nither has turned out very good. Problem with the Rib eyes was dry, no charing and no flavor. I cooked them at 400. Any ideas on Steaks? I just am at a loss as to how to make pull of the bone rib's. any help would be recieved with joy. I really want to be a great bar b q'er.
Mike.

So Cal Smoker

First welcome to the forum and pellet smoking Mikey. Try going to the pelletsmoking.com Recipes in this forum. You will find alot of good ways to cook ribs and steak.

HoDeDo

When cooking steaks, I do the reverse sear method on the Country smoker, Mike. Cook it over low heat initially, then crank it to "pre-heat" which should get you about 550-600 degrees depending on the size of your pit. sear it off, and eat!
a
I know there are lots of good threads here that are examples of that, so I wont go into too much detail here. Lots of good threads on ribs also.

What kind of pellets are you using? How are you seasoning the meat? Any injection or brining of the ribs? Marinating the steak?
Let us know more about what you got goin on!

Rip

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. Lots of great info here. Tell us more about what you've tried, I'm sure you will get some help.

Big Poppa

Administrator
What andy said...use the gentile smokey heat and the give them a sear when they hit near the desired end temp Ribs there are som many good ways

CarterQ

Welcome aboard Mike! As you can see there is tons of good info here and a lot of great people who will help you out! Look forward to seeing your cooks.

scooter

Welcome to PelletSmoking!
I've done steaks sear first and sear last. I get identical results from either method but have found it's much simpler and easier for me to apply the intense heat over lump charcoal for a couple mins in the beginning then put the steak in the smoker at about 250 and coast it slowly up into the low 140 range. With this method I can have as many beers as I want and still get repeatable successful results. Some will tell you that reverse sear will result in a steak that's 5% juicier or that you'll get more smoke flavor by not hitting the steak with intense heat in the beginning....like I said, I've tried it many times both ways and have never been able to detect a difference between the two end results so I go with the way that is easiest for me to get consistant results. It will be up to you to pick the way that works best for you.
As far as ribs go, I smoke mine at 275 unfoiled for about 3 hours for baby backs and 3.5 hours for st louis cut spares. While it's not 100% reliable to use IT in ribs to determine doneness, a general rule of thumb I found in the beginning is that an IT of in the 190's between the bones will yield a fairly done rib that my family likes. Not fall off the bone but pull off the bone. For fall off the bone ribs you should take them up to about 205-210 IT between the bones. The bend test is pretty reliable where you pick up the rack from one end with the end of your tongs near the middle of the rack and if the rib bends and develops a crack in the surface meat then your ribs are done. Others use a toothpick poked into the meat to determine doneness but I've had less success with that method and pretty much use the bend test.

Top Bottom