♣ St. Patty's Day - Anybody...

CarterQ

Going to give it a whirl doing it on the smoker, probably will be on Sat though too busy during the week (better that way, pick up the corned beef cheap!)

Big Poppa

Administrator
St Pattys day is fun for our family...my great grandfather was a songwriter who wrote When Irish Eyes Are Smiling,,,,and a whole bunch of otherstandards like mother machree....

ACW3

I will probably cook our corned beef the more traditional way, in a slow cooker, this weekend. I cooked a corned beef and a pastrami (from another corned beef) on the MAK about two weeks ago. Maybe it was the corned beef, but it wasn't as good on the smoker. The pastrami, on the other hand, was outstanding. I bought four corned beefs to polay with, now and later. At least two of them are going to be turned into pastrami. It disappears soooo fast!

Art

Deb

I took two briskets out of the brine yesterday. I won't have time to cook today - my son flies in for spring break tonight so I have an airport run to make :)

They looked like this on Sunday :
a71d3c52.jpg

8cbf516f.jpg

Off st patty's day topic - my son called me the other day and told me everyone would be over on Friday (the giant meatball crew plus) and how hard would it be to cook ribs..... so I have to make a costco rib run tonight also

so looks like I won't be cooking this until Saturday. Part of one is going to a friend, I may make the partial piece into pastrami.

Last edited:

HoDeDo

Éirinn go brách!!!

I will probably cook our corned beef the more traditional way, in a slow cooker, this weekend. I cooked a corned beef and a pastrami (from another corned beef) on the MAK about two weeks ago. Maybe it was the corned beef, but it wasn't as good on the smoker. The pastrami, on the other hand, was outstanding. I bought four corned beefs to polay with, now and later. At least two of them are going to be turned into pastrami. It disappears soooo fast! Art

Since corned beef was made to be boiled, I have found to translate that to cooker, I actually soak it in water initially to pull some of the brine/nitrites back out of it. Then cook it like I would a brisket... except, when I wrap it is with broth that has the spice package from Boyle's steeped in it. Makes a killer corned beef on the cooker that way.
And gotta love homemade pastrami. Just had some this week, one of my favorites.

St Pattys day is fun for our family...my great grandfather was a songwriter who wrote When Irish Eyes Are Smiling,,,,and a whole bunch of otherstandards like mother machree....

Music is definitely in your blood BP.

sparky

my wife is Irish / Sicilian. don't make her mad. we are making are corned beef tomorrow. wife and the kids have school tonight. i am making ribs thanks to the wet / dry thread. maybe irish whiskey w/ smoked peaches. there ya go. got a plan.

Deb

Deb cant wait to see what you cook for the crew....and what they come up with
I won't be cooking - have to work tomorrow, I will help get the grill going and get them started. I'll be working at home so I'll try to do a tapatalk picture every once in awhile when I go downstairs to get water.

I don't think it's going to be anything out of the ordinary since the shopping list is ribs, green beans, coleslaw, biscuits.

sparky

I don't think it's going to be anything out of the ordinary since the shopping list is ribs, green beans, coleslaw, biscuits.
nothing you do is ordinary. your food is always outstanding. :cool:

Deb

nothing you do is ordinary. your food is always outstanding. :cool:

thanks sparky

I'm not cooking this one, but the cook will probably out of the ordinary for a college kid. Ordinary or not I'm sure it will be awesome.

2 hrs til the plane lands = happy mom

cowgirl

BP that's pretty interesting about your Great Grandfather!
I dined on corned beef and cabbage today and sipped on a green beer. I enjoyed it ...and should do it more often. :)

Big Poppa

Administrator
I did the st pattys day last weekend My daughter in law made a ton of corned beef and cabbage...the pelligrino bottle was green so it fit

Rip

We did the traditional corned beef & cabbage in the crock pot...I try not to experiment with tradition on The Day. Thanks for all the great tips given so far! Like others have said, I plan to gives this a try soon.

squirtthecat

I've been using my pressure cooker for corned beef and finally have it dialed in... Pour in big bottle of warm Guinness, add insert to lift the meat above the boiling Irish Magma, put the rinsed roast in and put the pressure on for 1 hour. Let it cool down naturally and slice/enjoy.

Top Bottom