How many stick to the same recipe?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I posted some no sear tri tip and then there was a thread about dry or wet ribs. Got me thinking that I am all over the map when it comes to how I cook everything. THese cookers are so versatile (aka Forgiving) that you can really mix it up.

I thought about it and I havent cooked risket, Ribs, or porkbutt the same is a long time.

Partially its my mood and the other is just sometimes I get the creative itch

How about youse guise and goils?

TentHunter

Well, I thought I'd nailed my recipes/methods down to where I liked them... then I joined this forum and that was all over! lol

I now realized I will probably never be done tweaking, trying new things, recipes, etc. Sooooooo many good ideas recipes methods being posted here all the time.

One of the best pieces of advice ever given here is what Sparky says, "If its not the best BBQ I ever put in my mouth, try again, and again..."

Edit: (at work and typing in between stuff) Like BP A lot of it does have to do with my mood too. Sometimes I'm just too tired to put a lot of creative effort into a dish so I stick with what I know. Sometimes I get that creative itch 'cause I just want something different.

Last edited:

HoDeDo

I am always playing at home. I love to mix it up. For comps, I never change a thing. In between seasons I will typically look at each catagory and make changes. but alwasy incremental.

sparky

i have yet to find the perfect ribs, brisket, pork butt or fish recipes that i am absolutely in love with. i have narrowed it down alot though. i do like certain rubs and sauces and my meats but am always trying new things. i steal stuff from ppl on this forum all the time. i like the way bp does his steak at 295º, perfectly cooked every time. i like bear's ribs but i try different rubs and sauces alot but my favorite rub so far on ribs is 3EYZ. i stole andy's idea about cutting the fat cap off my butts. every butt has the fat cap off. i learned alot from BP and andy. i should probably give BP and andy money for all the ideas i get from them. don't tell them that. BP doesn't need to know how much of a influence he has on my bbq. like a older (not much) brother or smoking buddy. :)

Last edited:

Rip

When in a hurry, there's comfort in making a 'standard', not a lot of thinking required...the rest of the time the wheels are always turning about tweaks and twist on a standard, or making something completely new (at least new to me)....and then there's that old 'mother of necessity', making do with what's on hand. ALL part of what makes this hobby great!

jimsbarbecue

Like Rip depends if time is a issue.Then go to a standard if not I always like a standard with a experimental.

Last edited:

scooter

Always tweeking and experimenting when I'm cooking for me and the immediate family. If I'm cooking for guests I go with what I know is the best recipe for whatever I'm cooking for them. I try never to experiment on guests.

Deb

I go back and forth but like a couple people have mentioned when pressed for time use the tried and true.

ht01us

For my pork butts I've used the same recipe for years; it turned out great the first time and I like to be sure I'm going to please people. But this weekend for the engagement party I'm going to go what I call "optometrist style". Two pork butts; one brined, one not; two different rubs. I'll be asking "Which do you like better, 1 or 2?". I'll take that winner and pair it with another try the next time: "a new 1.... or 2?"

For my ribs, I experimented for years on getting a recipe that worked. Found what worked on the charcoal grill; and I'm making adjustments until I get great again. Then I'll have that in my back pocket where I will start to experiment.

Trooper

I'm MEGA-DITTO with Scooter again.
When entertaining, I have my solid go-to way.
Otherwise, I'm playing & tweaking with spices, rubs, sauces. pellets, time, & temp.

Top Bottom