This weeks Contest..Cliff is the Judge Bring it on!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Lets see what the wild and wacky groups comes up with next.....

need 6 entries for three prizes

First One large bottle of each of the new BIg Poppa Rubs
Second One small bottle of each of the Ned Big Poppa Rubs
thirdmone large bottle of Big Poppa Desert Gold

come on....lets burn some pellets!

TentHunter

I won't be able to do much cooking this weekend. So I'm looking forward to seeing lots of great entries.

Make it a tough decision, make me really wish I could have cooked :)!

nepas

Hamzilla in the MAKING

DSC00122-2.jpg

Got hamzilla done. Going to get covered and a rest in the cold oven.

hz8.jpg

Last edited:

bflodan

Looks great nepas... Did you cure it yourself also?? Im going to try curing a butt, hopefully for next weekend... The whole leg was way too much for us when I did it...

jimsbarbecue

Ahi Tuna for Lent

This week ahi tuna for lent. By now you know it will be simple. Olive oil and then two rubs. Medium on the Big Poppa's and light on the Obie's both sides. On the MAK using the MAK griddle. Other grills could use a cast iron pan or a Griddle Q. Heat the grill to 375. 2 minutes first side 1 minute on the second side.Take it off they are done. If you like the ahi tuna a little rarer as most do cut the times to 1 minute then 30 seconds. Use sashimi grade tuna. Cooking the 2 minutes 1 minute time is a good way to introduce folks who claim they don't like fish to converting. The best fish steak I have had. The Little Louies...I am glad I got the big bottle.

1220632832_Usbr8-M.jpg

1220633017_rS2Ky-M.jpg

1220633191_o7D4J-M.jpg

1220633367_LLQvB-M.jpg

Deb

Looks great nepas... Did you cure it yourself also?? Im going to try curing a butt, hopefully for next weekend... The whole leg was way too much for us when I did it...

bflodan - I have the butcher cut it into three pieces - 2 hams and the hock. Brine the hock too and then use it for soup or something.

sparky

Shrimp Salad
found some shrimp and wanted to use my SOW's. here we go.
P3190061.jpg

and into the frig for 1 hour
P3190066.jpg

turned up #336 to high, had cherry pellets in her and she got to 500º. on cherry (i have a magic mak).
P3190075.jpg

3 minutes per side and. they look good.
P3190082.jpg

cut up some celery, green onions, avocados, tomatoes and lemon.
P3190084.jpg

did i say noodles. oh ya, noodles too. mixed everything up with some good seasons dressing.
P3190088.jpg

plated up for me and the mrs
P3190092.jpg

i must say it was quiet good. very light and tasty. good flavors. :cool:

Last edited:

sparky

Maple Brandy Ribs

Maple Brandy Ribs
see what happens when it rains outside. to much free time for spark. i'm letting the food do the talking. see ya at the end.
P3190017.jpg

P3190024.jpg

P3190040.jpg

P3190042.jpg

P3190044.jpg

P3190047.jpg

P3190051.jpg

P3190057.jpg

P3190069.jpg

they were very good. and all my own recipe. that's right, the old guy has skills. :cool:

Last edited:

bflodan

Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Twice Baked Shredded Potatoes

Ive been making Parmesan crusted chicken for awhile now, thought id try it on my MAK.. The potatoes was an idea I took from the William Sonoma Catelog we just got and added my own twists....It all came out fantastic...

Started by baking potatoes on my MAK yesterday for about 1.5hrs at 425.. Cooled and refrigerated until today..
001.jpg

Shredded with a grater and added white chedder, fresh parmesan, sour cream, shallots, salt, pepper and a little plowboy yardbird.. Put it on the MAK at 425
006.jpg

Meanwhile crusted the chicken with about a 50/50 combo of bread crumbs and fresh grated parm...
002.jpg

004.jpg

after the potatoes where on for about 30 min did the chicken on the MAK Griddle
007.jpg

008.jpg

009-1.jpg

Served it whith a Sage Butter Sauce
011.jpg

Other than the butter overload on my corn, I couldnt have been happier...The chicken was fantastic, the potatoes where even better than i expected...

Last edited:

CarterQ

Smoked Corned Beef and Cabbage

Wanted to try the traditional corned beef and cabbage and do it all on the smoker.

Here we go:

Started with a store bought corned beef brisket that had a separate seasoning packet.

bfe7c997.jpg

Soaked in water for about 3 hours changing the water every hour to get some of the salt out of the meat

fec11f0f.jpg

Onto the MAK @250

b26c786f.jpg

Now for the cabbage-

Cored out a whole head

0aff88ff.jpg

Filled it with butter, onion, and seasoning (coriander, garlic, pepper)

e2d6b3b0.jpg

Wrapped in foil and onto the MAK for about 4 hours

859c1257.jpg

f6ddb45d.jpg

Foiled the Brisket @160 and added the spice packet along with about a 1/2 cup of beef broth and back on the grill @300

c499c57a.jpg

Sliced up red potatoes, onion, and carrot and added beef broth. Seasoned with coriander, pepper, garlic, salt.

59d34e17.jpg

Foil fest

82b71552.jpg

CarterQ

Smoked Corned Beef and Cabbage Part 2

Taters done

7c945f80.jpg

Brisket done (Pulled @205, wrapped, and threw in a cooler for about an hour until everything else finished up.

a4be7f06.jpg

Cabbage done

dc59b40c.jpg

Sliced beef (I know the grain is different on the point and the flat but a friend did the slicing)

e601f558.jpg

Black and Tan to wash it all down

ce228cf1.jpg

Ready to go

ddfda92d.jpg

This came out way better than I thought it would. I tried Andy's suggestion of adding the spice pack and beef broth at foiling, the meat was perfect- fork tender and with a great smoky flavor. Cabbage rocked, and taters were good too, all in all better than any boiled corned beef and cabbage I have done.

ITFD#15

Ribs and all the stuff

So this is my best ribs yet. Like everyone else here always looking to improve our cooks.
Prepped ribs as I normally would with yellow mustard and my home made rub (sorry no pics of this) let them stand.
Still using 50/50 oak and cherry to ensure the heat is there.
This time when I put the ribs on the grill I gave them another shake of rub smoked on smoke for 2.5hrs checked and mopped with apple and brown sugar then increased the temp to 180 smoked until the meat started pulling back on the bone.

IMG_8690.jpg

Next placed on fool and added a mixture of pineapple, my honey, and a local product called wow sauce this is minced garlic, chili peppers. Wasn't how that was going to fit in the mix because it is strong. Turned out to be a good combination.
IMG_8692.jpg

IMG_8693.jpg

Back on the smoker for 3/4hr then unwrap and finish on the grill at 225 no sauce other than the stuff left in the foil.

IMG_8695.jpg

Bannock with grated Asiago cheese.
IMG_8694.jpg

Squash with brown sugar, butter, and maple syrup. took a while to cook on the Traeger.
IMG_8697.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_8699.jpg
[/IMG]

Added some potato,s very good although it was about 9pm before we ate.

bflodan

Breakfast on the MAK Griddle

Made some Pork Chorizo with eggs and potatoes with onions....Came out excellent..

001-1.jpg

003.jpg

004-1.jpg

005.jpg

006-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

009-2.jpg

Delish!!!

nepas

Nice entries everyone.

Easy peasy for me.

MAK Hamzilla, smashed taters and zuchini. HUH? What you have on yer taters? I like BBQ sauce on em.

HZT.jpg

My wife will be proud of me cuz i'm eating my wege-tables...HAHA

Deb

Started about a week & a half ago by corning a couple briskets. One became corned beef which we ate yesterday. The other was destined for Pastrami!

Last Sunday it looked like this (It was 1/2 way through it's 8 day brine) :

a71d3c52.jpg

Yesterday I coated it with Squirt's pastrami rub (found here http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/pellet-smoked-pastrami-197/ then smoked over a pan of dark beer, garlic and onions

8e05e46d.jpg

c53437f1.jpg

0c5d27c7.jpg

today I sliced it up

749fa47d.jpg

my son emailed me last week and was raving about something that a friend's roommate had made - Kale Chips, so we adapted them to the smoker today - ripped up kale, olive oil, salt - one batch he tossed with Soileau's rub, 300 degrees 20 minutes

7878a30d.jpg

8fdfae45.jpg

kale chips came out and bumped the temp up to 400 for this clofouti with peaches & raspberries

d25b8b3c.jpg

About that time clofouti came out of the Traeger
80a65e11.jpg

to be continued.......

Deb

continued...........

Steamed some of the pastrami with some cheese for sandwiches

Dinner..........

a007b713.jpg

Dessert........
e1e129e3.jpg

sparky

Ribs Sparky's Way

i've cooked alot ribs alot of different ways. this is my favorite way. RSW (ribs sparkys way) are easy to duplicate time and time again and i can do anything with them. just yummy for my tummy....:) ok, lets fill up the picnic basket BOO BOO.
fired up #336 to 250º (new favorite rib temp) and let the smoke begin.
well, i cooked some the way i like them. honey mustard, my favorite rub and secret rub on them. bovine bold on the dog's ribs.
P3200022.jpg

onto the Mak
P3200028.jpg

came back 2 3/4 hours later (i sprayed with apple juice and jack once or twice)
P3200038.jpg

i put my butter, honey and brown sugar on (don't like the parkay and maple syrup, yekky)
P3200043.jpg

back on #336 for 1 hour
took them off. before good stuff goes on.
P3200049.jpg

after good stuff is on. ohhhhh.
P3200059.jpg

P3200060.jpg

back on for 1/2 hour more to set sauce.
P3200063.jpg

thats the way to do it. they were fantastic. love the variety. :cool:

Last edited:
Top Bottom