Hickory Smoked Shrimp on the Memphis

cowgirl

I tried the Hickory Smoked Shrimp recipe from the Big Book of BBQ by Southern Living.
3 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
3 lemons, sliced (layer with shrimp)
1/2 to 2/3 cup hickory-flavored barbecue sauce
1/2 cup dry shrimp-and-crab boil seasoning
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon hot sauce
3/4 cup butter or margarine, cut up
3/4 cup dry white wine

I didn't have a fresh lemon on hand so I used lemon juice..
Layered the shrimp in my skillet, sprinkled with lemon juice, brushed the shrimp with hickory Q sauce, sprinkled with dry crab boil seasoning, black pepper and hot sauce. Then dotted with butter.
Added 3/4 cup of wine to the skillet and placed in the Memphis Pro using Hickory pellets.
Smoked at 225 degrees for about 45 minutes...stirring every 15 minutes or so.

Into the Memphis Pro with hickory..

c6337ec7-1.jpg

687433de-1.jpg

The Hickory Smoked Shrimp with a cold beer and plenty of napkins..

3caad341-1.jpg

They were tasty, I could definately taste the Q sauce in the mix.. At first I couldn't taste much smoke but came back later for another shrimp and the smoke flavor was there..

txpgapro

a6cd08de-c861-10c9.jpg

My attempt tonight. 3 layers of shrimp, lemon juice, white wine, bourbon honey BBQ sauce, Pick a Peppa sauce, butter, chopped green onions and lots of Slap Yo Momma cajun seasoning. Smoking with Pecan BBQer's Delight at 250' for 45 minutes then 270 for 15 minutes. Grilled sweet corn, and herb crusted potato rolls fit soppin' the soup. Hope it turns out as good as it looks.

Last edited:

txpgapro

adb885fb-d9e5-cbb6.jpg
adb885fb-da00-a28e.jpg

Very good stuff. Wife loved it. Not any smoke flavor when the shrimpies are drowned in liquid buy plenty of the wine and BBQ sauce flavor. Could have used a lot more of the Slap Yo Momma seasoning though. I think next time I'll peel the shrimp first, thicken the sauce, 'cause it was really good and serve it over dirty rice.

cowgirl

Tx your dish looks fantastic! Love the sound of the sauces you used.. Pickapeppa is one of my favorites, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

BP..You are too kind. Thank you...

SmokinJoes

Great recipe. Tried it with peeled shrimp

We tried this recipe with peeled shrimp cooking at 250 for about 40 minutes, and they picked up a good smoky flavor. Probably could have pulled them a bit earlier, but they weren't overdone. We used a pecan/hickory blend - mainly because I already had some pecan in the hopper from the last cook and was too lazy to pull it out. We'll be trying it again with some more garlic and maybe a bit less butter. Love the site and our Memphis Pro.

Top Bottom