Ribs Cooked in a Pile - UNCONVENTIONAL!

TentHunter

For my birthday I wanted ribs. I'd seen this recent video posted by the BBQ Pit Boys called "Mountain Ribs" and had to give it a try.

Note: I'm not crazy about their food handling, but these guys know how to sling some 'Q!

YouTube - Mountain Ribs by the BBQ Pit Boys

I was skeptical about this technique; it's unconventional to say the least, but I was more than happily surprised by the results. This method is simple, only takes four hours, AND best of all IT CALLS FOR BACON!!!!

Here's my slightly modified version:

Two large slabs of spareribs were trimmed into individual ribs, including the breast bone and rib tips. They were placed in a bowl with 1/2 lb. thick cut bacon and tossed with about 1 cup of rib rub.

A waterpan was placed underneath and the 10+ lbs of meat was piled onto the 275° - 300° grill and left for 30 minutes (Apple & Hickory for smoke). I also had a corned beef brisket with pastrami rub (brown mustard, corriander & cracked black pepper) on the grill.
BD01.JPG

After 30 minutes the ribs were tossed/flipped, then toss/flipped once every hour for the next 3 1/2 hours. Can you spot the Bacon?
BD02.JPG

Glaze the ribs with some BBQ sauce for about the last 30 minutes. Look at how well they've pulled back from the bones.
BD03.JPG

Done, tender and still very moist after only 4 hours!
BD04.JPG

My first Pastrami style corned beef turned out better than expected too! I reserved a pound of it to chill & slice the next day for sandwiches.
BD05.JPG

The ribs were quite delicious and the bacon was a very nice added treat!
BD06.JPG

Yummy Birthday to me :).

I won't always do ribs this way, but these are sure worth doing if you're looking for simple but good.

Thanks!

Last edited:

CarterQ

Interesting technique, unconventional but the results look killer, a very nice Birthday meal. Did you get a chance to convert your kettle to pellets yet?

TentHunter

I should've mentioned, I believe the water pan was a key factor using this method. It made them plenty moist, tender and smoky good. Definitely worth a try!

Edit: The bacon may have helped too. But then again, bacon ALWAYS helps ;)!

Did you get a chance to convert your kettle to pellets yet?

My pellet order & other goodies are suppose to arrive from BPS today (yippie! :)). Waiting for the Pellet attachment to arrive. Both were suppose to ship the same day from Sunny California.

If they both come... I have tomorrow off work :cool:

Last edited:

sparky

i have never seen anything like before. the video was cool. i got a friend named louie who lives in the hills in humboldt county who looks like that guy bbqing. seems like alot of work. they look fantastic though. like the bacon. :)

TentHunter

seems like alot of work...

Surprisingly it really wasn't. In fact one of the easiest ways I've ever done ribs to have them turn out that good.

The prep was done by the time the grill was ready. Once they were on the grill it was smooth sailing. Kick back with a cold drink & conversation, flip 'em a few times, slather on some sauce, let 'em finish then eat!

Top Bottom