SOW Chicken

CarterQ

Finally got around to trying out the SOW BBQ Marinade on some chicken last night.

Started with boneless skinless thighs

5280858e.jpg

The marinade

fae92125.jpg

Dumped them both into my new toy, the Marinade Express

d056e4ea.jpg

Tumbled for 20 minutes

7639fde9.jpg

Wrapped em up in Bacon so they wouldn't get cold (left two for a control) and onto the MAK @275 for about an hour

2dc384f6.jpg

While the chicken's cooking sliced some veggies and hit them with Garlic olive oil and a dusting of Fagundes

7f6d2023.jpg

Cranked the MAK up to 400 to finish the chicken off and cook the veggies

fa80d372.jpg

All done

0f8816b8.jpg

35c396b5.jpg

This is a very nice marinade, I usually don't buy commercial marinades but this one is good and tastes like it was fresh made, there are ton of chunky ingredients in it, and overall it's a nice balanced flavor. Next time I will marinade a little longer and maybe hit it with some rub to give it a little more kick, but that's just my preference.

Last edited:

smoker pete

Scrumptious looking Chicken Thighs Carter!! Nothing like bacon to bring anything up a notch.

Noticed you used Fagundes Seasoning on the veggies. That Fagundes Seasoning is some great stuff and I often use it on everything and anything.

Bacon wrapped Chicken and grilled veggies ... simple and great combo!

HoDeDo

Everything looks AWESOME! Did the non bacon wrapped ones stay juicy?

Glad you liked it! Very observant - it is fresh. Usually made the day I pick it up, and it has all fresh ingredients! In an 80 Gal kettle, they saute 32lbs of fresh garlic for every batch (have to cook the garlic to ensure it is sterilized going into the marinade.) several pounds of onions, minced, and then fresh lemon juice (not from concentrate), butter, etc.

I did my absolute best to not have to add any preservatives. Also stayed away from emulsifiers like Xanthan Gum. They cut the flavor, and coat your tastebuds. It is nice to hear that it pays off, and you can tell the difference between it and a "commercial" run.

Love the new tumbler.... I usually go 3-4 hrs on my chicken without one, so I would bet 45-60 min in the tumbler would be about right. I always finish with a sprinkle of yardbird on the grill for color and flavor :)

Looks like a killer dinner to me!

bflodan

Looks excellent... Was surprised at first when saw skinless (one of the best parts I think) but then I saw the bacon and ooohhhh even better!! I gotta get some of the marinade!!

CarterQ

Thanks everyone!

Everything looks AWESOME! Did the non bacon wrapped ones stay juicy?

Love the new tumbler.... I usually go 3-4 hrs on my chicken without one, so I would bet 45-60 min in the tumbler would be about right. I always finish with a sprinkle of yardbird on the grill for color and flavor :)

Looks like a killer dinner to me!

Andy, I could not tell the difference between the Bacon wrapped and non wrapped, both were extremely juicy and tender, a good accomplishment especially with boneless / skinless chicken.

The tumbler is way cool, I still need to get a feel for it. You are right I needed a little more time with this one, but it was still excellent and I will add some rub for a more complex flavor.

I appreciate the time and effort you put into the marinade, one of the best things about a good marinade is fresh high quality ingredients; and to do this with a "commercial" marinade is an accomplishment. My wife actually asked me what I made the marinade with when she looked at the chicken before it went on the grill, I fessed up though and pointed to the bottle :)

Looks excellent... Was surprised at first when saw skinless (one of the best parts I think) but then I saw the bacon and ooohhhh even better!! I gotta get some of the marinade!!

My wife only buys boneless skinless chicken in an effort to keep us healthy ;) In my opinion Bacon is better than skin and it makes for a nice end around. You should give the marinade a whirl, it is really good.

Last edited:

HoDeDo

Thanks Carter. I was hoping the other would be just as juicy. I have heard that tumbler cuts your marinade time by 75% as kind of an "in general" statement; so no magic in the time amount I gave you, just 25% of what I normally do :)

Next time, feel free to toss the bottle and tell the wife it is all you. I have a co-worker who (if he isnt lying to me) says I can't ever give a rib to his wife, or she will know all the ones he brings home from me aren't his LOL. ;)

Top Bottom