NEPAS inspired Ham Sticks

TentHunter

NePaS posted this last week: http://www.pelletsmoking.com/pelletsmoking-com-gallery-10/leftover-mak-hamzilla-1355/

Once again I find myself incredibly inspired (thanks NePaS), so I just had to do something about it ;)!

Paying attention to one particular note:
Turned out decent but will do different next time like grind fresh uncooked ham with a fat cut in. Then smoke in my normal way. Kinda dry without the fat content.

I decided to make from fresh Ham Sausage using a couple of pork roasts with a nice thick fat cap.
HAMSTX01.JPG

To speed the curing process along, I boned and sliced it up into 1/2" slices and pieces (look at that fat cap :eek:).

I'm going to try a few different flavors of Ham Sticks so I mixed up a simple curing brine of Pickling Salt, Sugar, Cure #1 & Filtered Water. Everything went in the brine for a couple days, including the bones (with a little meat left on).
HAMSTX04.JPG

This will get stirred a few times per day to be sure everything stays as submerged as possible & gets brined evenly.

Stay tuned for more...

TentHunter

Update

After two days in the brine I changed the water and let it soak a little of the salt out then ground the meat into fresh Ham Sausage. This gave me about 7+ lbs which divided into three bowls. I mixed three different flavors: Honey, Brown Sugar & Spice & a Maple with Red Hot Pepper.
HAMSTX03.JPG

Stuffed and on the smoker. I setup some lump charcoal using the minion method and a couple packs of hickory pellets.
HAMSTX04.JPG

Done and cooling.
HAMSTX05.JPG

Maple with Red Pepper on the left & Honey Ham sticks on the right.
HAMSTX06.JPG

These things are unbelievably good. The brown sugar & spice have a Christmas/Holiday Ham sort of flavor with the allspice. The Honey is nice and sweet (I think I'll cut back on the honey just a tad next time).

But the Maple & Hot pepper... Oh my, these are my favorite; they have just a little kick at the end that's very nice and goes really well with the maple.

Thanks again Rick for the Idea! :)

Last edited:

nepas

After two days in the brine I changed the water and let it soak a little of the salt out then ground the meat into fresh Ham Sausage. This gave me about 7+ lbs which divided into three bowls. I mixed three different flavors: Honey, Brown Sugar & Spice & a Maple with Red Hot Pepper.
HAMSTX03.JPG

Stuffed and on the smoker. I setup some lump charcoal using the minion method and a couple packs of hickory pellets.
HAMSTX04.JPG

Done and cooling.
HAMSTX05.JPG

Maple with Red Pepper on the left & Honey Ham sticks on the right.
HAMSTX06.JPG

These things are unbelievably good. The brown sugar & spice have a Christmas/Holiday Ham sort of flavor with the allspice. The Honey is nice and sweet (I think I'll cut back on the honey just a tad next time).

But the Maple & Hot pepper... Oh my, these are my favorite; they have just a little kick at the end that's very nice and goes really well with the maple.

Thanks again Rick for the Idea! :)

Them look awesome

And YW

Ya know you aint that far away from me...HINT HINT...June 25th

Top Bottom