Double Duty ... Smoked Tri-Tip & Teriyaki Jerky

smoker pete

After weeks of rain and strong winds I took advantage of the brief reprieve to do a Hickory Smoked Tri-Tip on the MAK and some Teriyaki Beef Jerky in the Bradley Smoker (OBS).

Into the OBS at 140º for an hour with NO smoke. Bumped to 150º for 1.6 hours with Hickory Smoke (5 bisquettes). Bumped to 175º till done.

jerky3.jpg

While the Jerky was smoking/dehydrating I fired up the MAK to smoke a Tri-Tip which I chose not to do the day before cause the winds were gusting to 40 mph. Since wind is not my friend, I didn't want to anger the smoking gods ...

Used some EVOO on the Tri-Tip for glue and rubbed with Fagundes Seasoning. Wrapped in plastic wrap and into the fridge overnight. But due to the wind it stayed in the fridge for 2 nights. No harm ... no foul. Seared the Tri-Tip on the 465º MAK grill for 5 minutes and then set the temp to 225º.

tip2.jpg

Here's a shot of the Tri-Tip smokin in the MAK and the Jerky smokin in the OBS

jerky4.jpg

Pulled the Tri-Tip when the IT reached 145º and FTC for 20 minutes. Used my handy dandy new slicer for the money $shot.

While I was slicing my Grandchildren swung by and I offered half the Tri-Tip for their dinner which my Daughter-in-law eagerly accepted. The oldest Granddaughter loves my smoked products and I readily fed her some samples. But the youngest Granddaughter would not try it until she watched her sister devourer sample after sample. Finally she said ... "Papa, can I try some?". Well, that was the beginning of the end for that Tri-Tip. She couldn't get enough!! Brought a tear to my eye to see them enjoying it so much. They took their portion of the Tri-Tip home and there's a few slices left for a sandwich for the wife and I. That's what smoking meat is all about for me. Watching them and friends enjoying it so much makes it all worth while

tip4.jpg

First set of racks were put in the OBS @ 10:20 AM and the last pieces of Jerky came out of the OBS @ 9:50 PM ...

jerky5.jpg

Top Bottom