New guy and need help

rburghdorf

My name is Roger and ive got 3 beautiful baby back ribs on smoker at 200 degrees, how long will it take to cook to 160 internal temp?

CarterQ

Welcome aboard, At that temp maybe 4hrs + you might want to think about bumping the temp up to at least 225 - 250. What type of cooker are you using?

Last edited:

HoDeDo

Set that dial at 225, and check those ribs occasionally the first 3 hrs. After that spritz with your favorite juice, and keep on cooking.... you will know they are done when the rack wants to break when you try to lift it (vs. still being very "stiff")... also if you can start to twist the bones in the meat, they should be ready!

scooter

Welcome to PelletSmoking!

At 160IT ribs will not be done and will be on the tough side as I suspect you're already aware since you posted this yesterday. I've found anywhere in the 190IT range measured between the bones produces a nicely done rib although using IT to determine doneness in ribs is somewhat less reliable than other methods but does seem to work well in ribs with nice uniformity in fat marbling. 205IT and up and you're getting into the territory of turning your rib rack into pulled pork.

Chris231

Welcome Roger! How did those ribs turn out?

After following some expert advice from many folks on this site, I've been slowly bumping up my pit temp. I cooked a couple racks this past weekend at 225, but they didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. I'll crank it up to 250 for the next round.

Pigstar

Welcome. I seldom use a thermometer to do my ribs. Feel, meat pulling away from the rib bone end, and color are my indicators.

Top Bottom